What's new

Cost of Home Theater justified (1 Viewer)

Troy Scott

Auditioning
I read the post "How much $ do you have tied up in gear- and did you expect to spend that much?". I was surprised to read the amount of people that felt the money they had spent on their systems were excessive. I'm not saying they had regrets about the Home Theater.
I live in Michigan and I have invested between $10k and $12k not including DVDs & CDs. I started out with a 36" RCA tv and a $300.00 RCA HTIB along with a RCA dvd player. I was very happy with this for quite some time. Then I made the mistake of walking into a Highend Audio/Visual retailer with my wife. At that piont I was getting the itch. Later we went back and we both, (this is bad because nobody is going to say no), got the Home Theater Bug. This store had just taken a Denon 5600 receiver and a Def Tech speaker package in on trade. The Def Tech speaker package consisted of:
Bp2000 for the fronts
C/L/R 2000 center channel
Bpx for the surrounds
After listening to this package, my wife and I wanted the package very badly. I agonized over spending the money on this system until one of my coworkers, (He isn't into home theater at all), put things in a better prespective. He made the point that I worked with people that would think nothing of owning two or more snowmachines at $5k to $7k each. These are toys that, depending on the weather, you would use a couple of times a month for 6 to 3 months a year. A Home Theater is something you use almost every day and in turn is used by every member of the family. Short of your house and maybe your car there is probably nothing that is going to give you more enjoyment and get more use as an individual or a family. So in terms of entertainment, to me, it is probably the best value no matter if you spend $2.500.00 or $25,000.00. The $4k we spent and the other $6k we have spent since I'm sure would have been spent on sleds or a boat or motorcycles or maybe just going to the movie theater,(which we don't do any more).
Since our purchase of the 5600 we have upgraded to a 5803(last week) and the 36" RCA moved to the bedroom with the RCA HTIB to make room for the 50' RPTV Hitachi a couple of years ago. The RCA dvd player went to the bedroom when we aquired the pioneer dv-f727s(2) and the pioneer pd-f1039. I also pick-up a pair of BP30s to round out my new 7.1 system which I'm still not finished setting up

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I don't make a huge amount of money, but am not destitute.

My co-workers get a laugh out of the fact that I own a 3k tv and 900 reciever etc. They own Harleys/boats/jetskis/ etc that burn gas, require registration and insurance, and are only usable half the year at best. I don't feel like I need to justify my choice of hobby or how I spend my money. I get at least as much use out of my expenditures, probably more, with a whole lot less environmental impact.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't have a problem justifying the cost of thr HT hobby compared to others. It's HT along with the others (golf and classic cars mostly) that's my problem!

NicholasL

Second Unit
Troy, what a profound statement. You too put it in perspective for me. I'm not sure how much I've spent on my system, but the retail cost of all the components combined is about $40K. But like you said, the enjoyment I and everyone else in my household get from it make it one of the most worthwhile investments one can make.

mackie

Supporting Actor
It was great last night when a friend came over to watch the new Star Wars DVDs becuase I have a great HT system. I agree makes more sense to spend money on this than an expensive car. Of course there are things that will take away from the fun of it such as over extending yourself to have the latest and greatest piece of equipment.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Here's how I justify what I've spent:

o It's been over a number of years.
o I never pay list, and a lot of my gear I've gotten for close to 50% off.
o I have a 15 year old car.
o I'm not a drug addict.
o I don't beat my wife.
o I don't gamble.

So if HT is my only "vice" ... :)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yep, that's what I tell my wife to.. hey, I don't gamble, don't drink, don't have any other crazed hobbies.. :) Give me one hobby I enjoy.. works most of the time ;)

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Bassi
I'm with you guys 100% I have about 20k tied up into my system, but did some frugal shopping. I'm in front of my system a lot more than I am in the jetskis, and they cost about the same price. I think this is one of the best hobbies in the world

Cheers
Mike

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
NicholasL,

Wow!!!

24 years old with a $40,000 Home Theater Setup. Most 24 year old I know out of college dont even make that in a year yet.

Well, it's good for you anyways.

Hank VT

Agent
I would recommend drinking to anyone.

I paid less than $1k for the whole setup. Note: My wife paid more for the entertainment center.

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I have two main hobbies. The first being ATVing and the second being my home theater. I have more fun riding ATVs then I ever will watching movies. But to tell you the truth, it does suck planning a ride, getting everyone together, packing supplies and making the long drive to the place we are riding (has been up to 18 hours) . So, in a way, the two almost equal out when you think of how much easier it is to walk into the basement and fire up a movie. I am just glad I can do both. I can't afford to eat but I can do both :laugh: just kidding

Robbie R

Stunt Coordinator
I have about $12,000.00 Canadian "invested" in my system, and I think it is the best money I have ever spent on toys. My wife and I use it every DAY, and like others we no longer go to movies. We wait for movies to come out on DVD and rent them.

I have friends that think I am nuts for the money I have spent, but as soon as Hockey and Football Season starts where are they?? At my house watching the games in my home theater, in HDTV. (Its OK They Usually Bring Beer!)

I am also into Fishing and ATVing. I used my ATV 3 times this year, and my bass boat about 5 times. These things cost me twice as much as my HT, and I barely ever get to use them. In comparison my HT is much better value. I have considered selling the boat and ATV, and visiting my local HT store with the windfall, but my wife would surely Kill ME:angry:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm a car guy, and my HT cost about 4x what my *current* car did :crazy: (a car is entertainment to me, not just transportation) Even my mountain bike is worth about what my car is. Do I have a problem with that? Nope. Everyone has their priorities, and as long as you are happy with where your money has gone, who cares?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I don't even have a car.

Music and film are more important to me than the slight inconvenience of riding the bus most places.

I told myself a theater would be cheaper than a car (no gas, insurance, maintenance, etc).

Well, I think I proved myself wrong on that one, but hey, now I have one awesome music collection :D

On the other hand, I justify my cost of home theater against most other home theaters. Due to the HTPC + CRT projector route, I've achieved for probably

Chris

Senior HTF Member
*laugh* while HT is my hobby, my other one is PCs, but it's also my business, so that's one I don't even have to justify.. but yeah, that's a hobby that will eat you up as well.. I spent... (checking quickbooks)... $18,430 on two PCs last year for my new lab. Bah. A big chunk of that is software, but still, *whew* but, can't complain, that has at least made it's money back.

Lopez

Auditioning

I wonder if NicholasR's system is like mine... It's MSRP is probably close to $30,000 - about $28,000 of which is in the CRT projector I got surplus for $1200 - and it's only 7 years old. Lots o' depreciation on those things.

mackie

Supporting Actor
My other hobby is powerlifting. My HT system comes in handy when I'm too sore or when I broke something and can't get off the couch:D

Mike Bassi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Bassi
You ride MTB Jon? Let's go. I'm near you and I know of some great trails nearby.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks