What's new

Correct aspect ratio on Mitsubishi WS55511? (1 Viewer)

Terry Flink

Stunt Coordinator
Since my screen is 1.78:1 (16x9) I would expect movies with a wider aspect ratio to have black bars on top/bottom. While watching Cast Away (2:35:1 Enhanced for Widescreen) the picture filled the screen. I checked the DVD menu and there is no selection for alternate aspect ratios. I have a Sony DVP7700 set for 16:9 in the setup menu and the picture format selected on my WS55511 is 480i Standard. I have also observed 1.85:1 movies fill the screen as well although I would expect a hint of letterboxing. Since I moved from a Sony 36" 4:3 where everything was letterboxed, I am wonderinging is this normal. If so can I watch movies like Cast Away in the normal aspect ratio? I should also note some movies do seem to display in the correct ratio....just can't figure out the rhyme or reason to it.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Cast Away is mislabeled. The film is 1.85:1, and that's how it was shown in theaters.

The difference between 1.78:1 and 1.85:1 is so small that, on most widescreen sets, it's hidden by overscan.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks