CORNER GAS: Season 3 DVD: ever released in anamorphic in R1?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by AndyMcKinney, Apr 29, 2013.

1. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

When I bought my DVD set of season 3 a few years back, I never really gave this much thought, as I was watching on a 4:3 TV, but now it really bugs me that although it was shot in widescreen, the DVD set is letterboxed rather than anamorphic, meaning you have to use the "zoom" to make the picture fit the way it's supposed to.
    I noticed that a subsequent Australian release (R4, but in PAL) is anamorphic, so I was wondering did VSC (or anyone else) ever go back and re-release the R1 version anamorphic, and if so, how do you tell the difference without opening it up?

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I don't know...but now you've got me hankering to watch Corner Gas.

A few years ago, I was in Disney World, wearing my Corner Gas T-Shirt. A couple of woman approached me, and asked me where in Canada I was from. I said I was from Indiana, and why they thought I was Canadian? The shirt, of course, because who else but a Canadian would have heard of Corner Gas?

3. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

VSC hasn't re-released Season 3 in anamorphic. I contacted them recently and they told me there were no plans.

4. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Chris. Thanks for the (unfortunately disappointing) answer. It makes me think that details for that Australia set are either incorrect on the package or the website, and that it's just the same letterboxed version. I don't think I have the guts to take the risk of $30-plus on the R4 set (which must now be OOP anyway since I can't find it on EzyDVD or JBhifi).