What's new

Cordless Phone Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Almost every cordless I've owned has been Panasonic. Never had any issues with them.

Currently I have the KX-TG277OS MultiTalk System .

My wife doesn't really like cordless phones for some reason, so with this system, she gets a corded phone on the main base, and I have a portable handset. Both phones are crystal clear, and I can take the handset over to a friends place (who lives about 9 houses away) and still get a crystal clear signal.

Great system with great functions. Speakerphone on both the base and handset is cool. We can add up to 8 cordless handsets. Heck, it even has three voice-mail boxes, if I ever wanted to use more than one. ;) (Press ONE for me...Press TWO for wife...Press THREE to message the cats.)

James St

Supporting Actor
I got them cause my 2.4GHz was interferring with my wireless network
This is my main concern with 2.4GHz phones. I plan on adding a wireless setup in my home soon but don't want it interfering with my phone. Right now I'm using an old Sony phone. It may not even be 900MHz. I think I'll wait a little while longer.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I've been told that Siemens products in general are only good if they are made in Europe, the U.S. made ones aren't built with the same quality standards. This isn't knocking the U.S., just Siemens in the U.S. :)

I myself have had several Panasonic cordless phones the past several years, and have been happy with every model. I guess the way some have a home theater buying addiction around here, is the same way I have a phone buying one. I'm thinking about getting a 5.8 model, but I want to make sure there are no problems with them, as I remember 2.4's first generation wasn't all that good. If the base shows the antennas, and it has 2 of them, then that means that the the downlink (from the base to the phone) is 2.4GHz, while the uplink (from the phone to the base) is 900MHz. I've noticed one of the newer Panasonic 5.8 models also has 2 antennas, so I'm guessing this is a similar situation.

FWIW I work in a store that sells, AT&T, BellSouth, Northwestern Bell, Panasonic, Uniden, and VTech phones. The Bell phones get returned the most, and the AT&T, and VTechs are returned less often. But the Unidens and Panasonics are rarely returned. Since I can't try out every phone we sell, I usually go buy the percent of returns each company has. We used to sell Sonys, which were pretty good, and last year we had 1 Siemens model. I think every single Siemens phone we sold was returned (and surprise... it was a U.S. made one)

I currently have theKX-TG2382B model which is 2.4 and came with an extra handset, and a speaker phone on the handsets which comes in handy when one is on hold with a bank or company. I am thinking about getting the KX-TG5110M
which is 5.8, comes with an extra handset, and speaker phone and caller ID everywhere.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I plan on adding a wireless setup in my home soon but don't want it interfering with my phone.
Hmmm. I have a wireless network in the house (for my laptop and HOPEFULLY SOON for my XBox) and it doesn't cause me any trouble with the system I mentioned above...

Greg Robinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg R
Just thought I'd resurrect this thread. Has anyone purchased a good cordless lately? We have our first little one on the way and I'm looking for something that won't interfere with the 900MHz baby monitor.

The only things I need: good speakerphone, caller ID, message waiting indicator for voice mail, and I would LOVE a shared address book feature, so I don't have to input numbers 3 times, if I ever expand the system. Thanks....

Jason Co

Second Unit
I bought the Uniden 2.4 and for some reason the message LED doesn't work. Anyone have any suggestions?

J

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Greg... the KX-TG277OS MultiTalk System I mentioned above will do all those things for you...I'm still loving mine. :D

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
I'm also using the 5.8 V-Tech with the digital message recorder thingy. Damn good phone, not had a problem with it at all.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I too have had great luck with the 5 Panasonics I've owned, except for their first generation 2.4 GHz (silver model), which was terrible - bad scratchy sound and lousy battery life. I recently purchased the KX-TG2382B like others here and love it. Paid 129.00 at Best Buy. All the things you are looking for Greg. Battery lasts about 7 days and has a separate charger for the extra handset.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I'm looking myself and read very good reviews of the Panasonic triple talk for $138-$150. I am debating on the 2.4 GHz because in addition to what's been mentioned above they are also prone to interfering with wireless modems.
I also have the Panasonic triple talk 2.4Ghz phones and I also have an 802.11b wireless network in my home and I don't get any interference at all. It works perfect, and the handset speakerphone also rocks!:D

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I have an AT&T 5.8 system that I purchased at best buy. I have a base station and two handsets. It work very very well, and doesn't interfere with my wireless network at all, which was the big reason why I didn't get a 2.4 system.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
DOn't buy Siemens 2.4Ghz phones. THey look cool but have TERRIBLE performance. Good news is that they retain their resale value. :)

I've got a cheap uniden 900mhz I just got at target a month ago and it's got great voice quality. I want a fancier 5.8Ghz system but that can wait for now. I'm a big fan of that $40 uniden. Far better than my $200 Siemens.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I also have the Panasonic triple talk 2.4Ghz phones and I also have an 802.11b wireless network in my home and I don't get any interference at all. It works perfect, and the handset speakerphone also rocks!
Exactly describes my setup. 802.11b...no interference.

And you are right Paul... that handset speakerphone is just cool. :D

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
A lot of the 5.8Ghz phones out now are 2.4 up and 5.8 down. Just like the early 2.4 ghz were 900 up and 2.4 down.

E

Eric Kahn

I had some of the original siemens Giga-get phones and they worked great, I now have some sony 2.4 gig phones that work ok (Sony and Uniden are the same, but Sony no longer sells phones under the sony name)
every cordless phone I have is digital, I will not have an anolog phone, don't want people listening with scanners, had a friend who used to do this

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
I'm considering the Vtech 5831 5.8 GHz expandable set vs. the AT&T 5840. The AT&T gets a bit better reveiws, but it doesn't have caller ID on the base station, which is really important. If I can't located the handset quickly, at least I can see who's calling on the base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks