What's new

Copmuter or Set top DVD recorder? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
OK Folks, here's the situation...
In my effort to buy a DVD Recorder, and finally ditch tape, I've managed to save up a total of $200's. Wich is amazing for me, since I usually like to spend it on electronics as soon as I get it ;).
But, something intresting caught my eye. First, was the target Drive, an HP DVD Writer that cost $499. That's a reachable goal. However, in a 6th Av Electronics Add, I saw a Panasonic set top that was $799, and Recorded DVD Ram and DVD R ...
Wich one is the one to go for?

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Neil,
I would opt for the DVD Writer for your PC. I am pretty sure the set top unit has limited video editing capabilities and paired with the right software, the Writer will allow you to create customized menus etc.. etc..
The writer is also $300 cheaper, which I imagine is a large factor. :)

ChrisLee

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm...wouldn't Computer DVD-Rs and Set Top DVD-R serve different purposes? I mean comps are for backup of data while the Set Tops are for recording video. If you plan on recording video with your computer then you'd need one of the WinTV cards and a pretty powerful workstation.
Of course you could always look into this

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Well, I already upgraded to a brand new ATI 7500 AGP 64MB DDR AIW card. All I really need to upgrade with are two new 80 7200 GB HD Drives, to replace my old 10 GB one.
but, since the DVD recorder costs more, and is tougher for me to save up for since I like to spend, spend and spend, that comes first :).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks