What's new

Convince me to buy an SVS PB10-ISD. (1 Viewer)

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Mary,

I'm not sure they even beep that on MTV any more but thanks for the Edit ;^)

Steve,

That's not so uncommon. Though most folks (like THX) find 80Hz more optimal, 100Hz will be fine. Do NOT upgrade your receiver just for that.

In my own experience you can start to "localize" the sub with a 100Hz crossover (close your eyes and tell there is a speaker over in that spot), whereas with an 80hz setting it's well nigh impossible.

The only advice I'd give there (regardless of what sort of sub you buy) is to find a corner up front near your R/L soundstage as opposed to say, a rear corner that's closer to your location. Normally I give the exact opposite advice (closed, close corners nearer to the seating area tend to be ideal for maximizing a sub's capacity in several regards).

Experimentation is key, try as many spots as you can, and by all means get your hands on an SPL meter and Avia test DVD so you can reset your levels with each location attempt.

Lloyd,

Holler if you don't get a note back in 24 hours or less. We've been fairly overrun with customers asking about newly announced subs, but we're pretty intolerant of missed replies.

Ron

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Lloyd I upgraded from the same sub to the PB10 in a similar sized room. I also had that Cylinder sub last year but could not justify the cost so I had to send it back. The PB-10 however is AWESOME. You will hear more than enough improvement to keep you happy for a very lonnnngg time.

Steve(S)

Grip
Thanks Ron,

I ran a little experiment with my current speakers. I played a 100hz test tone through my left speaker, just next to where the sub will be placed. I was somewhat able to localize the source, in respect that it was louder at my left ear than my right ear, but quite hard to pinpoint.

It also depended on where I sat. When I sat at my normal seating position against my back wall I couldn't really tell anymore as it sounded even at my left ear and right ear. That same spot normally gives me the best sound anyway, especially for bass.

Thanks again.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'm going to recommend against the pb-10 because you need more sub, I think at least a B4 would be my minimal recommendation but due to localization I would recommend a pair to get a more flat and linear sound balance across the room. What's also good is that a pair of them should be able to drown out the neighbors in the event they complain, especially the ones about a block away and should give you enough slam to listen to your music when the kids drive by in a car tries to go bump in the night. :D

JK, btw just listen to their email as they won't over sell you.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
SVS Ron - I'm not trying to hijack this thread (sorry Steve) but I'll be in the market for a new sub later this year. I have been looking at a Paradigm Servo-15 (because of performance plus I can get one locally). Have there been any direct comparisons of an SVS model to the Servo-15? My HT room is 9x12x8 (LxWxH). What SVS model would you recommend for 99.9% movie watching in a space that size?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Unless there is a typo, for a room that size, a servo15 is WAY overkill, as would be most of the SVSs. I'd say a PB-10 or PB-12 would be plenty, unless you are looking for ridiculous bass and/or depth. If so, maybe one of the cylinders like the 20-39 or 16-46.

Axu R

Agent
Very happy with my PB10.. not sure about my neighbours, they inhabit in every direction.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Eric, Robert,

Hell, Steve can get 10 PB10s and still come out ahead money wise. Of course, he would just love playing with the B4s. Heck, he would go plum crazy with the 16-46 octet and twin B4s too!. :D

Seriously, Steve; you will be fine with one of 'em 'lil 10-inchers (one of which am planning to get meself after tax returns...just because :b )... :emoji_thumbsup:

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic...'cuz I frigging love SVS subs!..."

Steve(S)

Grip
I'm gambling I can keep my sub at tolerable levels for my neighbors. My walls aren't the thickest in the world. But atleast they would know what a SVS subwoofer can do. ;) I just did my taxes, getting $1150 back, I guess I have no excuse now.

LloydM

Agent

You guys did an awesome job in replying to my emails. In fact, so good that I have a PCI 20-39 that should show up on Monday :)

Lloyd

Steve(S)

Grip
I am here to announce that I have placed my order. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: $470 with shipping.

This little animation put me over the top. :D

svsubwoofers.com/animation.htm

Thanks again for everyones input.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
No typo John. My current sub (Paradigm PDR-10) can get stupidly loud in there but it's not too good at all on anything lower than about 50Hz. I'm looking to get down to 20Hz or below and not sound like the sub is farting.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

My current sub (Paradigm PDR-10) can get stupidly loud in there but it's not too good at all on anything lower than about 50Hz. I'm looking to get down to 20Hz or below and not sound like the sub is farting.
__________________________________________________ ______

My friend...the PB10 doesn't fart; it produces REAL low bass signals (good for music too ;) ). Try it...you'll like it... :)

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
quote:

My current sub (Paradigm PDR-10) can get stupidly loud in there but it's not too good at all on anything lower than about 50Hz. I'm looking to get down to 20Hz or below and not sound like the sub is farting.
__________________________________________________ _______

No need to worry about the PB10-ISD delivering below 20. Thats one stout big little sub I tell you.;) I'm flat down to 18 and no complaining doing it.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
good thing, steve. i really didn't have the time to come out and beat you in the face with a tire iron, but i gotta do what i gotta do. i'm glad you made the right decision. i'm sure your doctor and dentist will be pleased as well.

kevin t

Steve(S)

Grip
Well, time for an update. I received my PB10 and hooked it up. Its way overkill for what I need, but anyways. Looks like I need to buy a new receiver as my current one has a fixed 100Hz crossover and I can tell where the sub is located. I used to have a sub/sat system years ago, and hated it when I could localize the sub, its not as bad here, but still pisses me off. I'm also still trying to blend the sub in with my mains, as they seem a little disconnected.

BTW, I have a Marantz SR5300, looking at getting a SR5400 or SR6400 just for the crossover. When I bought the SR5300 I didn't have any plans to add a sub, which is why I didn't let the fixed 100Hz xover prevent me from buying it, but now its a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks