What's new

Convert DVI D to VGA (1 Viewer)

Paul Frank

Auditioning
I searched the forums and didn't find much. I found a device at Digital Connection for $259.00 by Dtrovision. Anyone have any luck with this or have another suggestion?

Thanks,

Paul

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
You may wish to take this almost breathless ad copy with a grain of salt, but apparently selling HDCP capable DVI-D to VGA converters is illegal-- ye old circumvention device.

And, of course, most DVI-D connectors on STB boxes support HDCP. Come July 2005, various media companies might actually start turning those broadcast flags on, rendering your expensive little converter box obsolete.

BTW, Ryan's suggestion is a DVI-I device. DVI-D requires some more elaborate circuitry,

Paul Frank

Auditioning
What! Why on earth would they deam this illegal? It's not like I am stealing anything, I just want to use the older CRT projector that I have rather then spending $7000 on a new DLP projector. :angry: :thumbsdown: What a bunch of BS! :D

Paul Frank

Auditioning
Argh! I read the thread. Some was a bit above me, for now, but things are starting to be easier to understand. Why can't things be easy. Well I guess I just could stick with a 27" tube tv and give up my 96" projection rig. :D :? Keep the ideas coming guys. So my options so far is a $250.00 device and a $400.00 device. :? What's with this Mike's mp-5 transcoder thing?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
What is it that you are trying to do, specifically?

There's a bunch of different advice for doing different things in this thread:

taking analog over a DVI plug and using an adapter to feed VGA (which is not what you asked)

Decoding DVI into analog RGB for transmission (then entered the issue od HDCP copy protection)

Mike's transcoder which moves between component video to RGB.

These are all totally different things.

So what's your display, what's your source, and what are you trying to do between them?

Paul Frank

Auditioning
Source:
DVD (Dennon 1910) DVI-D out & RGB out
Satellite (Dish Network JVC 811) DVI-D output & RGB output

Display:
Barco 800 VGA input & S-Video input

So, Ideally I want to switch between both sources via a remote and use 720p or 1080i

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Your denon does not have RGB output, it is YPbPr (component video).

I looks like your player only upscales the video when using DVI output.

Depending on whether your barco is Data or Graphics, it will scan to: "58 Khz, (line tripling), the Graphics scan to 92 Khz."

You will want to use a DVI-> RGB converter most likely, because you will want to scale up the picture beyond just 480p for your projector.

Paul Frank

Auditioning
Sorry, my ignorance, your right about the Dennon. Still learning. It is a Barco "Graphics" 800, so I am good there.
Question, why do I wan't to go from DVI to RGB and then to VGA, would it not be better to go strait to VGA and skip a step?

Ok, wait I think I understand
YPbPr = 1 red 1 green 1 blue
RGB = 1 red 1 green 1 blue 1 black 1 white with 1/4 turn connectors (BNC connectors?)

So, I did a search and found one, but it did not have a price, not a store. Might you be willing to point me in the correct directon?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Frank:

RGB is a signal trasmission format that comes in a few flavors, the most common is RGBhv, that is, pure signals for red, green, and blue, and separate horizontal and vertical sync. VGA now just refers to the connector-type that you'll recognize as used on any computer to connect the monitor, and it carries RGBhv signal on it. There is no change in video format, it's just a physical connector that has all 5 pins in it, rather than 5 separate connectors (5 separate connectors is best, though).

YPbPr, is a 3-wire format, known as component video, and it has a Y (something that you can think of similar to luma, that is like brightness) with two color-difference components. It is a way to somewhat compress the transmission of color compared to RGB. You can't think of YPbPr as being "colors" per se, they are just components. RGB actually does very clearly transmig Red, Green, and Blue, YPbPr sends a difficult to explain mess of those but in a very different form.

To move between Component video and RGB, you need a transcoder, because they are two totally different signals.

Paul Frank

Auditioning
Thanks Chris for sheding some light on this for me. I'm starting to see this isn't going to be easy or cheep. I did find one converter "Extron DVI-RGB 100", and the one place I think I found a price for it, it was about $1400.00! Does this sound right? Any idea of a better place to purchase a converter for cheeper.

Also, one more thing, I ran a VGA monitor type cable to my projector, and have a "dongle"? to convert from the cable to the projector's RGB input. Will this work for the wire in the wall, or do I need a true RGB cable (25' long) with BNC connectors on both ends?

Thanks,

Paul

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Paul,
Yes, when HDCP becomes widespread all of us (CRT owners) are going to be screwed. There are some people working on DVI-D cards for certain CRT PJs. Keep an eye on AVS's CRT forum for information on these cards and other potential external devices. For a current solution, I'd ask the experts over there for their opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks