Conversations with Twilight Time's Nick Redman (UPDATED New Interview 9/8/13)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 4, 2013.

1. sleroi

sleroi Stunt Coordinator

Gavin Kopp
    I hope I didn't come across as mean spirited. I was trying to understand things from a business/market perspective, and since it stated in the interview that the sell-outs were a blessing, and allowed them to keep issuing the more niche titles, that there could be some sort of sales based contingency plan. But apparently that is not the case. I am grateful for the existence of TT and Criterion, etc. One of my all time favorite movies is Warlords of Atlantis. I dont think it has ever had a stateside release in any format. I saw it multiple times at the theater, in 77 or 78, and have caught it once on cinemax. I would gladly pay 30, 40, even 50 dollars for a copy. And Im sure most here on this forum have a similar title of their own.

2. Greg Krewet

Greg Krewet Stunt Coordinator

In an MP3 audio interview with DVDClassics(Over at Twilights Facebook page) Nick Redmond announced that The Eddie Duchin Story, The Man from Laramie and Two Rode Together would be 2014 releases from Twilight Time. Great Selections.

3. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    Those are three good titles which I will get.

4. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    More Kim Novak and a couple of good westerns. Nice to have something in the pipeline to look forward to in the new year. Thanks Nick.

5. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Here is a new audio interview with Nick Redman....

I am going to add this link to the original post as well as here....
    DICK DINMAN SAYS: "NO TROUBLE WITH TWILIGHT TIME!": A recent mean-spirited, spectacularly irresponsible and unjustly negative website article about the practices of much loved boutique Blu-ray classic film label Twilight Time proves conclusively that even such a highly praised home video outfit as this is not immune to the "grumblings and criticisms" of certain ill-informed individuals and Oscar-nominated writer, producer, director and co-founder of Twilight Time Nick Redman rejoins producer/host Dick Dinman to address these bogus "issues" and set the record straight once and for all.

6. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

The editorial referenced above is at The Digital Bits at this link:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/the-bottom-shelf/trouble-with-twilight-time

Personally I did not find it that "mean-spirited" or "spectacularly irresponsible". I think there are multiple valid opinions on the subject of Twilight Time's business model. I am one of the critics of the 3,000 limit but having said that, if the choice is 3,000 or the film does not get released then I'll accept the current status quo. However, the editorial is unfair regarding the criticism of extras - "singularly uninterested" seems a bit much.

To Nick Redman's credit I was relieved to hear that Twilight Time is limiting sales to 3 copies, which I sincerely hope translates into more fans having access to the titles on release date - which is really my only complaint about Twilight Time.

The editorial raises an interesting question - Does the business model hurt adoption of Blu-ray catalog titles by limiting exposure? I'm not certain where I stand on that question.

- Walter.

Clyde's Place likes this.
  7. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Excellent interview.

8. Cinescott

Cinescott Supporting Actor

Scott
    A great piece of audio. I wish TT all the success they deserve in the coming months. They're risking a lot for home video enthusiasts and I for one am grateful.

Keep the isolated scores coming, too. I love that feature.

ahollis likes this.
  9. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Walter,

Though Adam made some valid points with his article. I thought he took some unnecessary shots at TT too with some examples I quoted above. The decline of the catalog titles in the BD market goes beyond TT and they shouldn't be held accountable as the main reason for that decline. It started before TT came into existence as the market has changed since the economic turndown in 2008, with lower expectations from the consumer base in regard to video and audio expectations. Sure, they continue to buy their new HD displays and other related HT equipment, but they seem more interested in having their movies/TV material more readily available to them in more conveniently, but less costly methods to watch in their homes rather than actual higher quality A/V presentations that BD gives them.

Again, some valid points by Adam. However, I can understand why TT/Redman was upset with some of the things said in that article as I wouldn't want to be mentioned as downfall of the BD catalog title market either.

By the way, I do prefer TT releasing more obscure titles, but I'm not convince the main stream titles they do release were going to be made available on BD by the rights owning studios.

10. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

I don't disagree Robert. I did previously indicate that I thought the focus on extras in Adam's editorial was unfair and I would agree that singling out Twilight Time with regard to how catalog titles are performing in the market is not fair either. (It certainly ignores the current economic realities for most Americans and the fact that for many HT enthusiasts they already own a version of the film on DVD and are not necessarily ready to spend additional funds on a title they already possess and possibly found wanting.)

The assertions in my first sentence that you bolded were more to do with Dinham's exaggerated (IMHO) teaser for his interview.

- Walter.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Walter,

I think we're in agreement here. The problem with catalog title adoption within the BD format has many root causes and is much more complex than simply TT being one of those causes. A lot of circumstances beyond the control of the industry and mistakes made within the industry has held that format back as the market place has been fluid when it comes to consumer expectations and wants over the last several years.

ROclockCK likes this.
  12. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Absolutely. (I had to leave for a friend's house after my last post, hence the delayed response. Dinner and Sunday Night Football, BTW.)

- Walter.

13. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

From the Digital Bits article:

But titles like Sleepless In Seattle and Steel Magnolias are mainstream movies. The primary audience for stuff like this doesn’t shop online very often and when they do, they don’t usually venture too far beyond Amazon. They buy movies at Target and Costco. The people who would buy these movies on Blu-ray don’t even realize they’ve been released. If they do decide to check Amazon for As Good As It Gets on Blu-ray, they’ll find it but it’s being sold by a secondary seller at an even more inflated price and that one’s not even out of print yet. Are there 3,000 people out there who would buy Sleepless In Seattle on Blu-ray? Of course there is. But they aren’t going to go out of their way to do it and they aren’t going to pay $30 or more for the privilege.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, as I have brought up the same point before. These films are the very definition of "chick flick". Good Tristar movies, but leaning toward the female audience for sure. That being said, for the loyal TT shopper, these are great gifts for their girlfriend, or wife :)

14. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

Or they could just never come out on Blu-Ray and nobody would be able to buy them.

15. Professor Echo

Professor Echo Screenwriter

Glen
    "I feel they’ve strayed from their original mission. Rather than resurrecting forgotten films from the past, they’re now simply taking advantage of studio indifference toward their own libraries."

I think that's a very salient observation, but I'm not so sure it translates into a bad thing. If these (relatively) popular, mainstream movies are successful, does that mean TT will have the funding to commission more "forgotten films?" Or will they simply follow the lead of other companies we've seen where prosperity corrupts their original intent and they decide to solely focus on those titles with potential for immediately increasing their bottom line?

16. Robert Crawford

Robert
    That's a distinct possibility which is why I don't support the criticism towards TT.

JohnMor likes this.
  17. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
    It's become a little more difficult for me to take TT's model seriously after Arrow Video announced their upcoming release of THE FURY (Carlotta in France is releasing it too). I had been defending them for most of the time, trying to stay open-minded to their practices. However, this has changed. Not only will it be cheaper to import it to the US with shipping, it's going to be loaded with extras and it's overseen by James White. It's being transferred from the neg -- was TT's from the neg?Details of Arrow's release:

Special Features:-Brand new digital transfer of the film from the original camera negative-Original uncompressed mono 2.0 PCM audio-Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing-Blood on the Lens: An interview with Cinematographer Richard H. Kline-Spinning Tales: Fiona Lewis on starring in The Fury-The Fury Revisited – An interview with Sam Irvin, intern on The Fury, author of the film’s shooting diary and then correspondent for Cinefantastique magazine-Original archive interviews from the 1978 promotional tour, featuring Brian De Palma, producer Frank Yablans and stars Carrie Snodgress and Amy Irving-“Double Negative” [20 mins] – A short film tribute to De Palma by Sam Irvin, starring William Finley-Gallery of behind-the-scenes production images-Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Jay Shaw-Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Chris Dumas, author of Un-American Psycho: Brian De Palma and the Political Invisible, as well as a re-print of a contemporary interview with De Palma, illustrated with original stills and posters, with more to be announced!

And, it's not limited.

18. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    The problem, as I have posted before, is that nobody knows when titles are going to be released or by whom. If it is an important title for you, then you will not want to wait. I bought The Big Heat from TT, no sign of it being released elsewhere. Ditto, Violent Saturday from Carlotta.

If I could sent a wish list of 20 titles to TT with a cheque for 600 dollars it would be in the post tonight. In the meantime I am grateful to buy the titles I want from whoever is releasing them today.

Robin9 likes this.
  19. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    From above...

"However, this has changed. Not only will it be cheaper to import it to the US with shipping"

That is the same song and dance for many titles. I bought(and returned...defective) an Orei region free. Bombay might sell me the LG BD220 for the same price as the current price of the Orei(they won't re-sell me another one at the price of the "open-box" I paid for the Orei...never mind it was defective).

The "extra $50" for the LG is more than made up on these "other" movies I've bought and imported...

Shame (includes scenes not show in US theatres as a bonus)
    Take Shelter
    Star Trek: ID(German version)

Those three movies are even less expensive, imported, than we have here. Eroding the $50 "premium".

20. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    I feel they’ve strayed from their original mission. Rather than resurrecting forgotten films from the past, they’re now simply taking advantage of studio indifference toward their own libraries.

That part isn't even accurate. Last month TT released The Disappearance, which fits to a T the definition of "a forgotten film from the past." This month TT is releasing Alamo Bay, a 1985 film which isn't exactly well-known. And next month TT is releasing Mindwarp, which is sufficiently obscure that it isn't even listed in Leonard Maltin's guide.

ROclockCK, lark144 and JohnMor like this.