What's new

Convergence problem on my Sony RPTV...Advice needed. (1 Viewer)

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I own a Sony 53" RPTV and have owned the set for about two years now. About a year ago the green projector went out and was replaced by a Sony technician. When the projector was replaced the convergence was way off so the technician connected this calibration device to one of the video inputs and corrected the problem flawlessly.

Now, about 1 year later I am noticing that around the edges of the picture you can see the color red around all white letters in text and the picture appears to be blurry (around the edges). In the center of the television the picture is absolutely perfect. I have attempted to adjust the convergence myself but this produced negative results. If I get one corner of the picture matched up perfectly it throws the other corners way off.

Do I need to have a technician come back to my house and re-calibrate again, or is there something I am missing?

BTW, I have had this problem with DVD, VHS, Satellite and regular television.

Greg

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
One thing to keep in mind, as you probably know, it's much easier to converge a RPTV in the center of the screen than the sides and corners.

I have a two-year-old Sony 61" RPTV and had it converged recently. While it was converged well, I became "brave" and decided to see if I could tweak the convergence in the "fine" adjustment. (I do have the service manual.) I found it relatively easy to do - have you tried using this specific mode? It seems as if you have a lot of control over convergence this way and I would think this would help you.

So, this problem just happened all of a sudden? If so, I find it odd that your convergence would just "drop" unless there is a problem with a tube.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Dave,

Thank you for the reply. This problem has actually manifested itself over time becoming progressively worse.

I didn't consider the fine adjustment so it looks like I will be retrieving my owners manual to give this a shot. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,

Greg

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Also, the best way to check convergence is to use the Avia "crosshatch" pattern at 100 IRE. This will really allow you to see where the blue, red and green are at. I suggest using this to check convergence and you can use it to help you converge. When I made my tweaks, I had this Avia crosshatch pattern diplayed AND the TV's own service menu crosshatch pattern. You have two patterns on the screen but I think it allows you to be extra precise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks