What's new

Convergence, How Often? (1 Viewer)

Rob Ritch

Agent
I have a Sony KP-53HS30 that I purchased in July. I have set it up with Avia, and I had a service call on it in October to set convergence and focus. I just replaced my DVD player so this weekend I used the Avia to reset audio and video. While I was at it, I put up the Avia convergence grid, and I noticed that the blue was way off on the vertical (2-3 pixels or more). I have recently pulled all of the equipemt away from it's normal position to re-cable and put in cable management, but I rolled the TV only about 2' across carpet so this should not have affected the convergence.

What I am wondering is whether or not this is normal to have the convergence be off after 4 months, and how often should convergence need to be touched up. I have a service contract on my set so I am going to have them come back out and set the covergence again. BTW when they set convergence, do they set it for different inputs, different resolutions (480i, 480p) or is it just a single mode, I know that last time they only set the convergence one time.

Thanks in advance for any information on this it will be helpful for when I schedule the service call so that I can make sure that convergence is set correctly.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Convergence drifts over time ... much like your car's performance changes.

Touch up convergence every 3 to 4 months is very reasonable.

Regards

Rob Ritch

Agent
Michael,

Thanks for the input. Can you tell me what modes need to have convergence set. I have the following equipment attached to the set

Progressive DVD Video 5 Component 480p
DishNetwork Receiver Video 3 S-Video 480i
JVC S-VHS Video 1 S-Video 480i

Is there just a single convergence, or is there one for each input and input mode.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

On the HS30 ... you'd likely need to do the 4:3 mode ... then the 16:9 mode and double check the 1080i mode too.

Regards

Rob Ritch

Agent
On the HS30 ... you'd likely need to do the 4:3 mode ... then the 16:9 mode and double check the 1080i mode too.
Thanks Michael. So if I am understanding this correctly there is convergence for 4:3, 16:9 and 1080i. for the 4:3 and the 16:9 does it matter whether the source is 480i or 480p. Again thanks for the help, I just want to make sure that when they (Sears) does it this time they do a complete convergence of all the available modes.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

480i/p should be the same ... "should" be.

You may have to manually go to 16:9 after you enter the service menu in order to do that part of the convergence.

REgards

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks