What's new

Convergance Questions. (1 Viewer)

Zak Smith

Auditioning
I have a Toshiba 51HX93.

I have done the 56 point user convergace from the menu which any user can adjust. But while in there I have niticed that the crosses are not quite lined up in the left top and bottom corners. I can see green around the edges of the cross.

So I entered the service menu and done a manual 56 point convergance in there using the grid which is a hell of a lot better that the crosses I might add. Don't know why the grid was not what was used for both convergance settings but anyhow.

I noticed that the horizontal blue lines on the grid on the left side of the screen are wider than the white. Is this normal? Everything else looks fine but the left most two horizontal lines on the convergance grid show blue on each side of the white grid line.

I have adjusted this as best i could but what can you do when the blue line is wider? The TV is only 1 week old as well. Will this possibly go away or get better after the burn in period?

I have also noticed that convergance in the main menu looks a little off even though the Service menu convergance is pretty close to smack on. Is this normal?

I also have had a small misforture of having a small white spec of dust ot something behind the screen protector in about the middle of the screen. The service teck is supposred to be coming out to remove it for me. Is there anything that he can screw up with my picture or geometry or anything from removing the screen and putting it back on?

One other very small but a little noticeable flaw is the picture on the tv is slightly tilted so that the bottom right corner is a little lower that the bottom left. A very slight tilt but noticable none the less. Can this be corrected easily? Will this be afected after the burn in period?

Thanks in advance.

Zak.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I don't know what the policy is for Toshiba TVs, but on my RCA, calibration is done as a warranty issue. I got my RCA RPHDTV a week ago today and the tech is coming out tomorrow to do a professional calibration and it won't cost me a cent. There is no problem with the TV, I just want it done professionally.

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
Zak,

The blue being wider is due to it having poorer focus than the green and red. It is normal, and it's also normal for the focus to be slightly worse around the edges. It is quite possible that it could benefit from an electrostatic focus and possibly a mechanical focus.
The user convergence looking different may be due to different convergence points in the two menus. In other words, a service mode point might be in between two user points.
The service tech probably won't be doing anything to change any of these problems unless he changes the focus pots. Removing and replacing the screen shouldn't effect these issues as long as he gets it reattatched correctly.
These problems won't be effected much by the break in process.
You can find instructions for the focus job on the web, but if you're uncomfortable with the process, an ISF calibration would fix the problem- just let the calibrator know beforehand that you definately want a focus job done.
Chuck, the professional calibration that comes with warranties usually pale in comparison to that of a good independent ISF calibrator. Maybe I'm biased, but I'm sure alot of people here can vouch for that. I don't doubt that it can do some good, though.

Chad

Zak Smith

Auditioning
So do all RPTV's have the problem with the Blue line being wider than the Green and Red? I would expect that this should not be the case.

I would reasonably expect the blue line to be the same width as the white and red lines or pretty dam close. I don't just see a little blue peeking out. I see alot of blue. The two lines to the left most of the set are about 1 and a half times wider than the green and red lines. So you can imagine that even when I put the blue line right dab in the center of the green and red I can still see quite a bit of blue on each side. Or I can set it to line up and see alot on one side.

I just don't want to be told by the tech when he comes that this is normal if I should not be getting these problems. I was expecting it to be pretty tight. Sine I did spring for the HX93 series. Toshiba's current best in CRT RPTV.

I also assume that if this is not normal that it would be covered under warranty. Correct?

Thanks again,

Knight.

William-V

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Zak,

I have the same problem with my Samsung. Sometimes it doesn't bother me so much, but other times I can't stop looking at the blue in the picture. I've been thinking of having a tech adjust it for me, but I wonder if it's normal, will that make any difference?

How did it go with your tech visit? Any better?

Sorry I couldn't be of help to you.

Will

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Well, actually, the "tech" who showed up was nothing more than a local store employee who basically explained the autoconvergence feature on the TV!!! I shoulda known anything "free" is really gonna be suspect. I will probably wait until payday and call an IFS to do the job. One store I talked to stated they charged $85.00 an hour to do it. Is this price standard?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Blue is often defocused to improve grayscale tracking at high light output levels, where blue is the first to reach output limits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks