What's new

Controlling My Sub (1 Viewer)

Corey_ Williams

Stunt Coordinator
I am sure that the answer to my question is very simple. Here goes...

Is there any way I can automtically turn my sub on when I turn my receiver on? :b

Andre Barros

Stunt Coordinator
Depends on your sub and your receiver model and brand. What are you using?

My current sub has a Auto/On switch. If left on auto it will turn itself on as soon as it senses a signal from the receiver and will go off (stand-by) about 15 minutes after the receiver has stoped sending a signal to the sub. This allows me to plug my sub directly to a power outlet on the wall.

Before I had this JBL sub I was using a Pioneer sub and that one didn't have an Auto/On switch, it would power up as soon as it was pluged into a power outlet. In that case I used the power outlet on the back of my receiver to power the sub, that way everytime I turned on the receiver the sub turned on and it went off as soon as I turned off the receiver.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

André

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
In that case I used the power outlet on the back of my receiver to power the sub, that way everytime I turned on the receiver the sub turned on and it went off as soon as I turned off the receiver.
Not a good idea. The switched plugs on the rear panel of a receiver are designed for light-duty components, like CD players and the like. An amplifier should never be plugged in there because the receiver’s power switch is not designed to carry that much of a load.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
I had a similar situation with my QSC sub amp. What I did was I used a relay which was switched on/off by my receiver thru the switched outlet. The sub amp is then connected in series with the relay. When my receiver turned on, the relay would be energized and the relay would complete the circuit to my sub amp which would turn on a little after my receiver. I think it cost me only $10 or 15.

Arnold

Corey_ Williams

Stunt Coordinator
Andre,

I have an old Cerwin Vega sub. It does not have a standby mode. What model JBL are you using? I was considering upgrading to the JBL SP120II, Paradigm's 12 or 2220.

Does anyone have experience with either of theses subs?

Wayne,

Is this true of all receivers' switch plugs?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Wayne, Is this true of all receivers' switch plugs?
I'm reluctant to say "all" as I have not had hands-on experience with every receiver on the market. But generally, yes. The outlet are rated very low, typically no more than 100-200 watts max/ total, and that divides between the number of outlets. The receiver’s switch bears the load of its internal amps, plus whatever is plugged into the outlets. Of course, most receivers these days have replaced hard switches for relays, but the principal is the same: The relays carry the load, and overloading them will shorten contact life.

Of course, there is also the current delivery issue. Most receivers have only 18ga. power cords. So if your sub has a heavier cord, you are robbing it of power (i.e., watts, which = output) by plugging it into a receiver. Not to mention, you can also rob the receiver of its maximum output potential, because the sub will be “sucking off” a good portion of the available current.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Andre Barros

Stunt Coordinator
Corey,

My sub is the JBL 10" 150 watts that comes with the SCS 150 SI speaker system. I believe its called SUB 150 but from what I know it is not sold separately. From what you mentioned this will not be enough for you (it is for me beacuse this setup is in my bedroom). It is inferior to the PB series and it doesn't have a cross-over but it puts out decent sound and bass for my needs. I'll be upgrading my speakers soon to Northeridge series and I'll be getting a PB-10. I've heard both PB 10 and 12 at the store and at a friends house and I loved the sound. As far as the others you mentioned I have no info on them, I'm just one of those JBL guys :)

Regards,

André

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks