What's new

Control 1X and ONE (1 Viewer)

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
I found a new speaker called the JBL Control One but I was woundering is that is the Control One the exact same speakers as the Control 1 Xtreme? Since the specs are exactly the same.

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
Well if i currently own the Control 1X should I get the Control ONE or get the Pro Control 1's Or do you think my Control 1X are better overall?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I don't think you'd be hearing much of an upgrade. Plus the Pros are 4 ohm and you'd have to make sure your receiver can drive them without problems.

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
Well my receiver can except 4 ohms too but in that case do you think the Pro Control 1s are better than mine? Or do you think mine is the best and I should keep it and not get the Pro?

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
Another thing I found out is that my Control 1X goes 50hz low since on my box it says it goes that low.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I haven't heard the differences between them, so going off specs alone I don't see much of a reason to switch. If you are still curious, it ultimately comes down to whether you're willing to try them out and then have to return them if you're not happy.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
JBL has been marketing these same speakers (with minor differences) for more than ten years. They have a whole pile of slightly different names for them, but the word "control" and the number "1" are always there somehow.

I have a pair of them, which I will use as Back speakers when i get around to pulling wire for them.

I have installed many dozens of them in pro audio situations.

These speakers are good, clean, and have excellent imaging. They will not, however, go down to 50 Hz. That is not a problem since you have your crossover set to 80 Hz, right?

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
Well on the box where the speakers are in say that they go down to 50hz but the owners manual says only 80hz. But by hearing the speakers I really think it goes 50hz. Well my question is that are my speakers the best Control 1 series speakers? I have the JBL Control 1Xtreme. It goes from 50hz to 20khz

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
We cannot tell you if your speakers are the best in the line. Only your ears can tell you that.

Speakers are like salsa. You've only had mild salsa. You like it, and you're wondering if you should try medium or hot salsa. I like medium salsa, but I don't like hot salsa. I should not tell you that you should only try medium salsa, because you may like hot and not like medium. But, you won't know until you try. Now do you understand, or have I just made you hungry for salsa? :P

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
So I guess you are saying that the 3 Control 1s have very minor difference and all of them sound the same or very little difference right?

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
Well I was thinking about this but since they are all the same kind of speakers can I swich the tweeters on my Control 1X to Polycarbonated dome tweeters like the Control 1 has that the pros use? I like the sound of the Poly domes better than titanium laminated ones.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
The numbers on the box may not mean much...yes, there is audio at 50 Hz, but how loud is it compared to audio at 80 Hz? There will be a +/- so many dB on there to tell you how "sloppy" the standard is.

Example, using the same mythical speaker, the box might say 50 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 6 dB and somewhere else it might say 80 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 2 dB

Both statistics are true, but the one with the tighter tolerane (+/- 2 dB) is more fair and meaningful.

Those numbers don't tell you anything about the sound of the speaker, though. You say you prefer one type of tweeter to another, but the sound measurements made on the two of them probably do not show a difference.

Weclome to the wonderful world of subjectivity! Audio is more about personal preferance than it is about cold hard measurements.

The only answer is to try various things, and choose what YOU like. To me, the Control 1 series doesn't have a very great range of sound differences in them. The woofers in my C1s were rotted out, and I replaced them with woofers from a newer sub-series, and there is probably not a lick of difference in the sound.

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
So I guess you are saying that all of the control 1 series sound the same? I should not change the tweeters?

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
Well overall do both the Control 1X and ONE both sound the same thought since they both use same tweeters and specs??

Adammccl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dallas Tatebayashi
I talked to JBL and they said that both the Control ONE and 1X sound exactly the same. They are the same speakers only difference is the name and the Control ONE comes with bracket to hang them on the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks