Continued HDMI Confusion

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by FrankLambert, Feb 9, 2009.

1. FrankLambert

FrankLambert Auditioning

Ok..well I need some input please
    I contacted my TV maker..and Sony Tech support
    They both indicated that my HDMI cable is not working correctly
    Manual says I need at least 6.68 GBPS for Blu-ray to work effectively
    TV is 1080p...Sony Tech said all I needed was a cable that stated 1.3HDMI
    is it that simple? I know not to buy Monster cables...but they have a variety as well as some brands in my area..
    can anyone clear up my confusion..
    thank you to anyone for there time in this matter

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Just because a cable is labeled "hdmi 1.3a campatible" might not mean it's bandwidth is suffient. Check it's specification to make sure it's compatible. Here is a helpful link to hdmi.org/faq.

It sounds like you want to buy your cables locally, but here is a link to monoprice hdmi cables. If you click on a cable, there is a "specification" button you can click on (their Knowledge Base is also full of info). This gives more information than you can shake a stick at. Compare the specs of different cables to see their differences. As you can see, some say 1.3 compatible but their bandwidth isn't up to snuff. Don't skimp. Get a good one. They're not that expensive. You never know what the future has in store for us [​IMG] .

As an example, here is a 6ft silver plated 340 mhz 10.2 GBPS cable for $15. 6ft premium hdmi cable.

3. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

When you ask for help you really need to be a ton more specific to get any useful responses.

Which TV brand & model? Which Blu-ray player? Connecting player directly to TV or through an AV receiver? No picture at all? Picture but different resolution than you expect? Have you tried different inputs on the TV?

Any HDMI cable should work (for shorter lengths like < 15 feet) as long as it's not defective, regardless of whether it is certified for 1.3 or not. I don't see how their tech support could definitively say it's the cable & not one of the components. You have to swap out with a different cable & have it work to know that the first one is definitely broken.

4. FrankLambert

FrankLambert Auditioning

thanks for the input...sorry if i was skimpy on the details

5. Sevb33

Sevb33 Extra

I just got confused more, I thought they were mostly the same, unless you were running a really long cable.

This is what I ordered and have hooked up
    High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Cable 28AWG - 6ft w/Ferrite Cores (Gold Plated Connectors) - BLACK

Got it from monoprice