Consoles life cycle gettig shorter?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn O, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Shawn O

Shawn O Stunt Coordinator

2. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

So that PS9 commercial that we all used to see when PS2 was released will actually become a reality in a few years? [​IMG]

3. David_LM

David_LM Stunt Coordinator

A snippet from the article:

4. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Interesting article. I do find one problem with it. It assumes that videogame consoles sell purely on hardware power, when they really sell because of the games. As long as Sony and Nintendo continue to release exclussive games for their systems that can equal or surpass what's done on the Xbox, I don't see the console life span getting any shorter.
    Besides, just because a console is more advanced, doesn't mean that it's going to succeed. Again, it all comes down to games.
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    "He represents all that is soulless and wrong... and you slept with him!"

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

6. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

7. Justin1

Justin1 Stunt Coordinator

The industry as a whole is not revolving on a shorter product life cycle. The comments made by Kunitake Ando were, in my opinion, way off base. X-Box might change the PS2's life cycle, but it won't cause a blanket change to the industry. What PS2 has gained in one year of NO competition, it will lose in overall staying power. This was a decision of Sony, much like the Sega blunder that was the Saturn. Both companies could have waited to meet the rising expectations of technology put into motion by competitors, but they took the short term cash option instead. The Saturn died because of it. Now, Sony will not be even close to another Saturn, but they will have to bring out a PS3 much sooner than the competion's hardware due to technology advancements. Sony has done a pretty good job of putting a quality product out that, for the most part, meets the output of the xbox. But, waiting a year allowed hard drive and ethernet prices to come down, giving Microsoft a great bonus to add to the xbox. Overall, the xbox will not change the industry product life cycle times, but it will affect the PS2 life cycle.

8. David_LM

David_LM Stunt Coordinator

9. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Matty;
    The Dreamcast may be an odd exception. I think that other circumstances may have contributed to its fall, such as Sega's sorted history with add-ons and its tendancy to abandon consoles shortly into their life span. Sega had left a sour taste in the mouths of gamers after the Saturn, and I believe that they forever tarnished their good name as a hardware manufacturer to the point where nothing could have saved them.
    That said, I still stand by my belief that good games sell the system, not the other way around. After all, what good is a videogame console if you don't have any good games?
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    "He represents all that is soulless and wrong... and you slept with him!"

10. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Only if the consumers will support it...A lot of them are upset now,with the PSone & N64 being phased out.
    And look at how long they have been out.
    My feeling is,unless the upcoming consoles are backwards compatible AND cheap,you won't see a much shorter lifespan than what it is now.
    And,as for the power of a system, name one gaming system that was the most popular & the most powerful during its lifetime...
    The answer is:
    None.
    Zero.
    Zilch.
    Nada.
    All three systems will be around for a while..Unless every J6P decides to invest in a HT setup [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

11. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

I think gaming consoles are going the way that Video cards have. They are just starting to fight over who is faster, better numbers, better graphics. Just like Nvidia and 3dfx and crew. The life spans will be getting shorter, I don't see these systems lasting the planned 5 years.

12. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I totally agree with Matty. Great games will not sell a console. The mass market is won over by marketing and PR manipulation.
    -Dave
    ------------------
    DVD List
    "The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

13. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

14. Michael St. Clair

The 3 year life of the Gameboy Color shows that some life cycles are sure shortening. [​IMG]
    As far as the Dreamcast goes, too much bad blood in the gaming community came from the failure of the 32x, Sega CD, and Saturn. The problem was not the games, the games were KILLER, and I'm not talking about sports games. I sold my PS2 because it gathered dust while I kept playing the Dreamcast!

15. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

16. Michael St. Clair

17. Shawn O

Shawn O Stunt Coordinator

18. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

If the XB is a huge success, the PS3 might come out a year or so earlier, but I doubt it will be out before 2004.
    The PSX was a crappy console with crappy graphics and was outdated, but as of now, it still has great games coming out for it. PS2 could easily do the same.
    If this lowers console life spans, then I will be pissed at MS.

19. Romier S

Romier S Producer

quote: The PSX was a crappy console with crappy graphics and was outdated, but as of now, it still has great games coming out for it.[/quote]
    Are you out of your mind or something. Everything in that sentence is contradictory. You say the PSX was a crappy console but still has good games. That makes a whole lot of sense Morgan. What your saying is that the console that saw the release of some of the greatest titles in the last 5 years was crap. Real intelligent comment there.
    I also dont seem to remember PS1 graphics being crappy. It is now almost a 6 year old system. I especially loved your outdated comment [​IMG]. Outdated by whose standards? Is it outdated by todays standards? Of course it is. How in the hell can you compare a 6 year old console to whats available now. Great logic there buddy. 6 years ago those "crappy" graphics as you called them were considered pretty damn state of the art in the console world.
    As for your MS comment. Who cares if you'll be pissed at them. Im sure if the president of Sony made the same statements but said that the Gamecube would shorten the life cycles of current consoles you would be the first person posting how awesome the Gamecube is and how we should thank the Gamecube for being so revolutionary and changing the market for the better. Is it so hard for you to admit that MS made a good system?!
    The Gamecube will be an exceptional system, I have no doubt of this (I will also be buying one). Microsoft IMHO has made an exceptional system (mind you I was a bit of a skeptic about the X-box until I played Halo and saw some of the releases they have coming out.) Is it so difficult to say "Damn, you know the X-box may not be for me but it does look sweet and it looks like allot people are enjoying it." Is it so hard? You know for someone who seems to have such disdain for Microsoft and the X-box you sure do expend allot of time and energy talking about their system.
    Morgan no offense man but please stop talking out of your ass. It gets old really quickly.
    [Edited last by Romier S on November 15, 2001 at 08:37 PM]

20. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I usually ignore Morgan's posts but for some reason I read that one. Probably the most uninformed thing you've ever posted, Morgan. Then again, you were probably only 9 or 10 when the PSX came out.