What's new

Considering GR AV3s, here come the questions. (1 Viewer)

Danny Richie

Stunt Coordinator
The response of the speaker is optimized with the grills off.

With the grills on the frame of the grill does effect the response a little, especially the off axis response.

I typically remove the grills for listening and cover them when not in use. I also leave them on when simply watching TV or playing back ground music.

Adding a frame around the edge will have a similar effect as the grill frame. It will slightly alter the response. I say slightly, but it will clearly be an audible change.

If you are building your own grills and want a flush mount look when the grill is on then build a grill that covers the whole front area of the drivers that wraps around the corners and makes the edges.

In others words the grill will be the front edges of the speaker where the drivers are and below that you can add the thinker material (1/2" think) that will be flush with the grill.

This way when you remove the grill there will be no lip or edge around the drivers. It will simply be a smaller baffle in that area.

Ross W.

Grip
Danny,

Yes what you propose is exactly what I had planned ie. to run to grill right to the edge of the baffle. I will make the grill a little longer than it needs to be so that when the grille is off the 1/2" step in the baffle will be a few inches below the woofers and hopefully minimize the acoustic damage it causes.

Thanks Again

Ross Wheatley

Ross W.

Grip
Justin,
Just thought I would let you know the AV-3 mains are finished and operational.

They sound great right out of the gate but I am sure they will improve with some hours. I am very pleased with the final product considering it was my first speaker build. I will try and post some photos tomorrow. The center is not finished being painted in the autobody shop so hopefully by the weekend it will in as well
I got the IB two tempest sub running on the weekend as well with my Sanyo Z2 projector which arrived last friday to complete my home theater project and it is quite something. It was alot more work than I had anticipated but is still very worth it.

I have not yet done the side by side against the HE10's yet but I will at some point.

If you find your way over on PEI you are welcome to come by and take a listen. You can email me at [email protected]

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Ross: congratulations on your project! Pride of DIY is priceless. We'll all be over this weekend for a movie - just post directions to your house.:D

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Now I'm really fired up! Can't wait to have a listen.

Thanks to everyone who contibuted to this thread, I'll be posting my evaluation afterwards.

Thanks for the oppurtunity to listen Ross.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Please do post the pics. I ordered the AV/3s last week to use as my center channel and if all goes well, I am going to order the AV/3's for my mains.

Ross W.

Grip
How do you post pics, I have some of my recently completed AV-3's but I am not sure how to get them posted ???

THanks for any help

Ross

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
Yes do post pics of your AV-3 if you have some available :) I'm somewhat interested in purchasing a pair also. :)

Daniel Metcalf

Stunt Coordinator
I probably won't get them done till friday, or even next week, depending on when my resisters arrive. As to posting pics, if this site is like most, you have to upload your pictures to a website then use the 'IMG' to insert them. I havn't taken mine off my camera yet.

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
On a side note... what is a good subwoofer to match the A/V-3's?

I was going to consider a tempest since they are fairly popular and won't break the bank.. would the "Adire Alignment" mate well with the AV3?

Ross W.

Grip
The dual tempest IB sub I built sounds excellent with the AV-3's. I would expect any Good Tempest design would sound nice.

Ross

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
Now, the Black Hole 5 that you can purchase with the kits. How much does this improve performance? More importantly is there a more cost effective alternative? IE some type of DIY foam?

Ross W.

Grip
I used fiberglass duct board insulation about $0.50 Can. per square foot. I think the AV-3 speakers sound great, but I am no audiophile. I am not sure how it measures up since I don't have any blackhole insulation to compare to. The Bass is not super so I wonder if that may be the reason. I have a sub so it doesn't really make much difference in my setup. I am sure Danny at GR can comment if you ask him.

Ross

PaulDF

Second Unit
Johan, it might help you to read a thread I started when I was building my AV/3's. Do a search for Blackhole 5. There are many alternatives there suggested by very knowledgable people. Danny Richie also chimes in a few times. I think it also says what I ended up doing in the end.

Have fun

Daniel Metcalf

Stunt Coordinator
I got my AV3's running today, so far very nice. Danny said to run them for at least 50 hours before they really open up, so I'll give a little review in a couple days plus some pics.

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator

Sounds great! Look forward to hearing how they sound after 50-100 hours of time on them. Note how they sound now so you can compare after the break-in period. :)

Daniel Metcalf

Stunt Coordinator
Well I put some pictures up, you'll notice the AV-3's aren't finished. It's been too cold and humid to spray the satin black finish I want, I'm gonna have to sand down the AV-1 center channel and re-shoot it too.Pics

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks