What's new

Considering GR AV3s, here come the questions. (1 Viewer)

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Hey Ross, are you sure you want to let me into your house? With all those goodies, you might have a hard time convincing me to leave.:)

Ross W.

Grip
First we will see how it all sounds these are the first speakers I have ever built and am no soldering expert, I hope my lack of skill does not effect sound quality.

Working on crossovers today , should have them ready to put in tomorrow, then insulate the cabinets and assemble I guess.

Ross

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
BTW, I have just finished my first DIY project, AV2s...

A bunch of photos:

http://f2.animeslovenija.org/r/fotke/av2/

Like I said, a newbie. Enclosures have weird looking cutouts (DON'T ASK), paint job is basically totally screwed up, crossovers look like hell, but they seem to be doing their job properly... But it sure works fine. :D

AV2s play cleanly and loud, rock/heavy music sounds awesome (think Rammstein/NIN). I'd say that for such music you'd want smoother speakers, not something edgy (you can see something like that in one my photos... ugh).

A very, very nice value.

Now, hm... AV3s... Hmmmm... :)

Ross W.

Grip
Rudi thansk for the photos , I have been looking for construction photos and could not find anything.

I saw somewhere someone recommended trimming the foil leads short but I see you didn't, I kind of wish I sidn't because it made them kind of tricky to mount.
Did you install the crossovers after you finished the cabinets or before? I think I will have to install mine befor just to fit everything in place before I close up the box.

What happened to your finish ? you ar not happy with it, any pointers would be apprecieated. Glad you like the sound thats good to here at the end of the day the appearance means nothing

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator

I painted the boxes with acrylic metallic paint from spray cans. Black is really nice, but blue... It required way too many layers (3+) to get an uniform color (my first time with this stuff), it wasn't finished at all (color started to drip... eugh), and I already wasted 5 cans... Sent it to hell, the next enclosures are going to a professional. I can always build new enclosures, they are cheap... :)

Or we'll try veneering. :)

And yeah, I'm almost non-critical to looks. It's how it sounds!

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
At the risk of being extremely predictable I will likely paint my DIY speakers in some form of textured spray-paint again.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Man Rudi you did the exact same colour as me on my av2's. Seem to have had the same problems I did with the paint. I did a hammered textured charcoal gray on my av2's.I did about five light coats before i was happy and had it react with the primer on the 2nd or third coat.

on a side not I have a lot of family in Slovenia. If you don't mind me asking, what city/town you from? You know any Solar's?

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator

Hm, I haven't seen that surname before, but mom said that she might have seen it before in a local newspaper or something... I'm from Kamnik, it's 20km north from the capital, Ljubljana.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
My Dad is from Slovenia. Ya I have family in Ljubljana and forgive my spelling Kamigorcia and Bled. Few more cities too as my dad has six brothers and two sister.

I'm actually finishing the rest of my av2's this weekend. I am using them to DJ my brother's stag and doe so for the hall I'll need all five and my 2 av12's and BP1503 to pull it off. The av2's do play loud when the highpass filter is set 80-100hz and not made to play low bass. Probably not close to rock concert levels but decent enough for the hall the party will be in. I'll wait to see the results in March;)

PaulDF

Second Unit
Cool, Rammstein + AV series. You got my attention... I don't care what you play through these, they will sound clean and clear. You will hear sounds you won't on other systems.

Rudi, those are some huge looking crossover layouts. How'd you manage to fit them in? I will say your finished speakers look very nice. I considered that finish for my AV/3's, but think I'll opt for the gloss black to match my sub. I finally got around to rounding the edges on my cabinets and I will say they look very nice even unfinished! I'm trying to post pics but without luck...

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator

I also tried to match the finish on my sub (SVS PB2+), but it seemed to me that it would be quite difficult? I remember a thread here where the same finishes were being made... I think I should find it again...

Ross W.

Grip
Paul how are planning on doing the gloss black, I also want to do gloss black on my AV-3's. I was planning to do piano black but it sounds very difficult to get it right.

Ross Wheatley

PaulDF

Second Unit
Well, when I painted my sub (big 24*24*46 inches) I layed it in its side (as it is quite tall) and applied 3 coats of good quality primer with a very good quality brush. Sanding after each coat. Then I brushed on a gloss enamel (Varathane Color in Plastic). I used 3 or 4 coats of paint, also sanding between coats. This process took about 3 weeks, as I could only paint one side per day. The paint levelled out nicely when applied on a horizontal surface.

Though the paint is not perfect, it does look quite good. Everybody asks what it is (the finish). A lot of work, but I'm sure I can paint my A/V3s a little quicker;)

Ross W.

Grip
Paul,

Yesterday I bought a small test can of the Varathane gloss black you mentioned and some clear varathane. I was plannig on trying basically what you did I guess I don't have to do the test now.
I bought the clear coat because I thought of possibly doing 3 coats of the black , then wet sand 400 grit and then put on 2 or three coats of the varathane clear gloss over it or possibly a spray can of clear varathane . What do you think ?.

I also bought a spray can of black laquer and a small can of brush on laquer to try for the built up hand rubbed piano black gloss finish. I am going to experiment a bit with each and see what works. If neither looks good enough I am going to see a automotive painter I know to get the AV3's sprayed.

I have another question someone may have some thoughts on - I used 1-1/2"thick 3lb/ft3 fiberglass board insulation inside the AV3'3 - Danny says use at least 1" on the assembly drawings. I was going to use mineral wool then for the loose insulation but I am concerned this might end up with too much high density absorbant making the box to tight to breath correctly, maybe I should stick to poly insulation for the loose fill ??

Any thoughts as I am about to close up the cabinets .

Ross Wheatley

Danny Richie

Stunt Coordinator

Using the dense stuff on the walls is fine, but stick with the loose fill behind the drivers and in the first part of the T-line to allow it to breath.

Ross W.

Grip
Thanks Danny for the response, I appreciate the advise especially on a weekend. You really go beyond what I would consider good customer service. IF the speaker performance is anything like your customer service I will definately be back for more of your products.

Thanks Again

Ross Wheatley

Stratford , PEI

Danny Richie

Stunt Coordinator

Oh I just had a few minites to kill while one of my girls finished getting ready for church this morning.

What can I say? I like what I do and do it even in my free time.

PaulDF

Second Unit
Ross, I haven't a lot of experience painting, but I know that the plain gloss varathane I used is quite shiny. Adding clear on top of it will definitely turn it into a mirror finish.

I am fairly patient and very meticulous, and I wouldn't have wanted to spend any more time with the finish of my sub. Also it is very big so that is a factor too. Perhaps with my AV/3s I will want to add the extra shine. Try the bare enamel and see how you like it. An extra coat or two of clear will definitely make them sparkle. I must admit piano black does look very nice!

I will add that it must be wonderful to be obsessed (hopefully not too strong of a term) with ones work! Danny is great.

Ross W.

Grip
Thanks Paul,

Yesterday I spoke to an automotive painter friend of mine and he said he would spray them no problem if I did the prep work so I think I will go that route since it will save alot of time. He will spray a base coat clear coat system that will give the shine I want. I am still curious however how good a job I could have done as well. I too am pretty picky and I know I would end up spending considerable time on the finish.

I think I am going to put an extra layer of 1/2" MDF on the front of the cabinet from the base of the grille to the bottom of the cabinet so that when the 1/2" MDF grilles are in place the front will be flush not having a grille sticking out. I always liked the flush front of most commercial designs rather the top forward protruding look of the grilles many place on the AV-3's. THe tradeoff is that when the grilles are off there will be a little step in the face. I need the grilles to keep my kids fingers out otherwise I wouldn't put any on at all so I could admire the speakers.

Any thoughts or has anyone seen this done, I am a little concerned that the 1/2" MDF might affect sound especially the grille frame. Is anyone using anything thinner than 1/2" for grilles ?

Ross W.

Grip
Thanks Paul,

Yesterday I spoke to an automotive painter friend of mine and he said he would spray them no problem if I did the prep work so I think I will go that route since it will save alot of time. He will spray a base coat clear coat system that will give the shine I want. I am still curious however how good a job I could have done as well. I too am pretty picky and I know I would end up spending considerable time on the finish.

I think I am going to put an extra layer of 1/2" MDF on the front of the cabinet from the base of the grille to the bottom of the cabinet so that when the 1/2" MDF grilles are in place the front will be flush not having a grille sticking out. I always liked the flush front of most commercial designs rather the top forward protruding look of the grilles many place on the AV-3's. THe tradeoff is that when the grilles are off there will be a little step in the face. I need the grilles to keep my kids fingers out otherwise I wouldn't put any on at all so I could admire the speakers.

Any thoughts or has anyone seen this done, I am a little concerned that the 1/2" MDF might affect sound especially the grille frame. Is anyone using anything thinner than 1/2" for grilles ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks