What's new

Considering getting the Panasonic PAN PT47WX42, is this a good buy? (1 Viewer)

Greg Schoff

Auditioning
I've been looking at HDTV's for awhile and haven't really had the money to buy one until recently. I was just trying to get some of your opinions on this tv set. Also are Panasonic tv's reliable to begin with? Thanks for anyones help in advance.

Greg

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Consumer Reports is probably a better source for this data.

Although annecdotal evidence suggests that Panny is about average in terms of reliability ... no worse than Mits or Hitachi or Toshiba or Sony ... (design defects aside.)

Regards

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I bought the PT53WX52 about two months ago. I've been pleased with the picture.

Sure there are TVs out there that are higher quality, but you will get a great picture out of the Panny for a great price. The Panny's seem to have a lot of bang for the buck.

If you have the space I would consider the 53 inch. A TV that looks big in your living room will seem to shrink after it's been there for a few weeks. I sit about 11 feet back from my 53 and while I thought it was huge at first, now I see I could easily go up to 57 or maybe bigger.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've seen this stated several times but I haven't been able to find any information about the new models. Any suggestions?

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I've actually seen them, but no details were released. The look of the on-screen menu has changed (more 'professional' looking), but other than that, they appear the same. I assume they have DVI inputs, but I couldn't even confirm that.

There will also be higher-end models of the 53" and 56" with a very different cabinet (look nice!) that actually has 2 shelves in the base, and better lenses. These models are supposed to be available in July.

Juan M

Stunt Coordinator
Info about the new "WX53" models is available via this press release from CES. Should be out soon. I know Sears is clearing out the current line.

A local dealer told me about higher end model called the 56TW53...this must be the new line JohnnyG mentioned. I knew nothing about it besides the model number before now. Sounds interesting!:emoji_thumbsup:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks for the info. That helped a lot. From what I can tell, based solely on the press release, the differences are a screen protector and DVI-HDCP input.

I have been planning to get the 47wx42 within the next month or so and the updates aren't compelling enough for me to go with the new models. I'm assuming of course the picture quality isn't markedly improved from the wx42 line.
I figure street price for the 47wx53 would be around 1550.00 and the 47wx42 I think I could get for 1250. Is 300.00 worth a screen protector and a DVI jack? I guess it's up to the individual to decide.

Juan M

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, from the limited info, the only difference between the current WX52 and the WX53 is the addition of DVI. Currently we have both WX42 and WX52, where the 52 has the screen protector and some other minor upgrades (speakers and remote, I think). I wonder if they are dropping the line without the screen protector or if there will be an equivalent WX43...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks