What's new

Consequences of crappy receiver? (1 Viewer)

TK1451

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyler King
So here's the deal. I'm a college student, which means my budget is quite limited. I was looking to "beef up" my sound system by switching out two of my small bookshelf speakers with more formidable replacements (it's a 5.1 surround system). I found a good deal on eBay but it says I should have a receiver between 4 and 8 ohms. My cheap-ass receiver says 3 ohms on it. What would the consequences be of using a receiver that's not quite good enough to support the speakers? If it's just a loss of sound quality I can live with that until I can afford a better receiver. If there's a possibility of damaging the speakers then I'll have to wait until summer when I can make some more money.

Thanks everyone.

ps-
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

itschuck2c

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
Don't buy anything..save your cash till you can afford a real receiver. You would be amazed at what your speakers may sound like with a decent receiver.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Probably one of the Ebay deals where they claim it's 1500 watts (PMPO), something like that?

TK1451

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyler King
it's a Samsung HT-Z310. Manual lists:
F(x2)/R(x2)/C output: 166W (3ohms)
Subwoofer output: 170W (3ohms)
Frequency range: 20Hz-20KHz
S/N Ration: 70dB
Channel spearation: 60dB
Input sensitivity: (AUX)400mV

My entire current system was a package deal at Best Buy. It has served its purpose well, providing decent sound within my dorm room for watching movies and such, but when I'm home over the summer and have to fill a house with music at parties, I want a system that can really kick.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Sorry for the delay. Had trouble logging on to the HTF site.

I thought it would be from a htib but I wasn't sure. I doubt 3 ohms would hurt an 8 ohm speaker (though I've never used a 3 ohm receiver). Usually it's the other way around. 4 ohm speakers shutting down an 8 ohm receiver.

Companies use lower ohm ratings to bump up the spec's and make them look better than they really are. They also do it to keep people from doing what you're thinking of doing. Mixing other brands with there stuff.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
For dorm rooms I don't understand why more college students don't go the route of some good PC speakers, and use them with their PC as the basis of their home theater and music system. I have a Logitech Z5300 which I paid a bit over $100 they are 5.1 and THX certified. That with a good sound card will provide very adquated sound for a smaller room.

The money you save can go towareds a real system later, help keep your college expenses down, or keep you out of debt.

Tom.K

Agent
Tyler,
From The specs you quote from Samsung you should have no trouble driving your speakers. Actually it's good that it can drive 3 ohms. The majority of speakers are rated at 8 ohms or sometimes 4 ohms (many auto speakers). So I think you will be fine. Just one thought. Circuit City stores are having liquidation sales. You never know you might find a deal if you are near one of these stores. As for the money crunch I know what you mean. I graduated in 1968 and money was scarce then too!
Take Care,
Tom

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Let this be a dissenting voice. Although the Samsung may work, it clearly uses digital (class D) amplifiers and was optimized for a 3 ohm load. Using it with 8 ohms speakers will result in less power output, probably by a factor of 3, and in frequency response irregularities that may be audible.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks