What's new

Connection question: DVD and CD (1 Viewer)

Niel_JL

Stunt Coordinator
I plan on buying a 5 disc progressive scan dvd player that will also work as my cd player.
I will run the video straight to the TV(component ready) and the sound through the receiver. Should I just connect the sound into, for example, optical input 1, and use that input for both DVD sound and CD player, or should I try to separate those(I could run the optical cable as the DVD sound and run a coax as the CD sound)that way when I want to listen to the CD i can press "CD" on the receiver and press "DVD" when watching a movie?

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
It's really up to you; either way is fine. There is a third option, as well: Run analog RCA cables from the DVD-player L/R outputs to the CD-inputs. That way, you can compare the sound of the DVD-player's DAC's to the receiver's DAC's.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i like rick's third option.

most of the time (but certainly not always) the receiver has a better DAC, so you should definitely experiment.

just remember, when you use a digital connection, the receiver does the decoding. when you use an analog connection, the player does the decoding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks