What's new

Connection issue. (1 Viewer)

fourseasonstanman

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis Greth
I just got the new DVR from Comcast and it now has HDMI. I also have an Pioneer Elite plasma with HDMI, my Denon AVR 3805 does not have HDMI. I currently have it connected with component videos cables and an optical cable to the Denon. I also use an MX 700 remote which makes switching between components easy. OK now the questions. Instead of buying a new Denon can I connect from the cable box straight to the Pioneer and leave the optical cable connected to the Denon? And is it worth it, would you really notice any difference? Also within a year I want to get the new Pioneer Elite 60 so does that play a roll in this decision?

Thanks Dennis

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Is the Cable box your only Video source? There's no reason you can't stay with componet video for your HD. The 3805 does also convert all you incoming video signals to component so if you still have a composite device in you system you can get away with just one component video line from your Denon to your TV. I'm assuming that you use your surround all the time and do not use your tv speakers. As long as the Cable box has Component video I would stick with component until you get a new receiver that converts everything to HMDI like the Denon 2808ci. which will convert everything to HDMI.

At least you wouldn't have to change inputs on the TV as you change your sources and the component HD pictures should be as good as the HDMI the only thing you loose is the Digital audio to the TV, but with a receiver like you have you shouldn't be using anything but your surround system a 100% of the time anyways.:)

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I've got the earlier DVI version of the cable box (but that's OK because I have an earlier PDP with DVI too) and I tried the connection both with DVI and component connections. The difference between the two, at least to my eyes and with my setup, was very slight with the edge going to the digital DVi connection. If you've already got the cables, try it both ways.

Mort

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks