What's new

connection between my lcd and home theater (1 Viewer)

Yogesh12

Auditioning
Real Name
Yogesh
Hi,
i have sony 46hx85 lcd tv and dav-dz290k... both have hdmi. previously i was using another sony tv of 40 inches.. i connected audio (red and white) from my home theater system to tv and configured as audio out in my tv and was able to use it.. but in my new tv i am not having that option... i have set top box and it also has hdmi support.. i want my sound to come in home theater system when it is on and in tv when it is off. how to configure it?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
If your set top box has stereo audio output (red/white RCA) then simply connect the audio output from the set top box directly to the red/white inputs on the Sony home theater system.

If your set top box does NOT have analog red/white outputs, then you may need to get an adapter to convert from whichever digital output it has - coaxial or optical/toslink - to analog stereo, then connect that into the Sony home theater system.

That Sony home theater system will not support any more than one external device, and that one input is limited to analog stereo. If you want to hear digital surround sound for any source other than DVD, you will need to consider getting a different home theater system.

Hope this helps.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here is a link to that "adapter"
http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek-Digital-Optical-Converter-Adapter/dp/B005DIRI6I/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355434109&sr=1-3&keywords=digital+analog

Yogesh12

Auditioning
Real Name
Yogesh
Jason Charlton said:
If your set top box has stereo audio output (red/white RCA) then simply connect the audio output from the set top box directly to the red/white inputs on the Sony home theater system.
If your set top box does NOT have analog red/white outputs, then you may need to get an adapter to convert from whichever digital output it has - coaxial or optical/toslink - to analog stereo, then connect that into the Sony home theater system.
That Sony home theater system will not support any more than one external device, and that one input is limited to analog stereo.  If you want to hear digital surround sound for any source other than DVD, you will need to consider getting a different home theater system.
Hope this helps.
i have ps3 also. so it will be tedious to connect each and everytime. my previous setup was, two hdmi to tv (ps3 and set top box) and white + red cable from tv to home theater system. ad i configured in of white + red of tv to out. but in this tv i cant configure in to out. thats major problem :( any hlp?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah, we both just told you,
Buy the toslink/analog adapter.
I assume the TV has a digital audio output. I can't find any English websites for that TV(which is odd). So, does it have a digital output?

Yogesh12

Auditioning
Real Name
Yogesh
yes now i am in search of that converter.. yes my tv has that... u can search for bravia 46hx850... my tv has digital output.. can u tell me how to identify hdmi 1.4 cable?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is no such thing as HDMI 1.4 cable.
You have standard speed.
You have High Speed.
You have High Speed w/ Ethernet.
If you have 3D/ARC, you technically need High Speed. But, if you are dealing with a 6 foot or shorter HDMI run...just buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks