What's new

Connecting SW output from Receiver to Amplifier (1 Viewer)

Beginner

Auditioning
Real Name
CKW
Hi everyone,
I bought my 5.1 yamaha receiver back in 1999 (13 years ago) and added 4 ground shakers in the basement. I connected the DVD player subwoofer signal out to an amplifier to power the ground shakers. Everything was working fine until my DVD broke.
I bought my first blu-ray player this week, (yes, I waited for almost 10 years). This blu-ray player has no subwoofer output and I'm using digital coax between the DVD and receiver.
I try using a Y cable from my receiver SW output to my amplifier to power the ground shakers, but the amplifier receiving no signal. (it has a gauge needle in the front).
I'm sure my receiver is all setup correctly, since my subwoofer is working. All my center, front and rear speakers are set to small on the receiver.
Question:
Is it wrong to connect the SW output from receiver to an Amplifier?
If I can't get it to work from the SW port, I'm going to get a pair of 50Hz low pass filter and drive the amplifier from the DVD RCA audio port. Do you think that will work? The low pass filter cost around $25 for a pair.
Thanks.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Are you saying the sub works fine with the y-splitter, but the amp for the shakers doesn’t? If the sub works, the amp for the shakers should too. So either the y-splitter cable is bad, or the amplifier has a problem.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Beginner

Auditioning
Real Name
CKW
Hi Wayne,
Thanks for your respond. I know both the Y splitter and amp are good. Because the Y splitter works OK on a different sub. The amp works with RCA audio signal. May be the SW frequency is too low for the amp to register. By the way, I watched expendable 2 in blu-ray over the weekend, the DTS audio is absolutely awsome.
If the receiver has problem reconizing the low frequency, I'm not going to waste my money on the low pass filter. I'll try looking for a second hand amp instead.
Thanks,
Beginner.

Beginner

Auditioning
Real Name
CKW
Hi Wayne,
It is working now. Some how I have to turn the amplifier almost half way up to get some good shacking out of it. Before I was getting the sw signal straight from the DVD player and was about 1/5 on the volume. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That was because the player output was line level, the sw pre-out is not.
So, your ground shakers straight off the player never had a volume control.
(I was waiting for you to figure that out as an "Aha" moment)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks