Connecting Receiver to new HDTV

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Eric*B, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Eric*B

Eric*B Agent

I just ordered a Mitsubishi Silver Series 48" RPTV and want to make sure I have the proper cables (and am going about connecting them the right way).

I will have the TV, a Toshiba SD-3109 DVD Player and Harmon Kardon AVR 120 Receiver.

I'm moving all the other assorted junk into the bedroom with my "old" 32" TV.

So, since these will be the only components, should I connect the DVD player directly to the TV? I am currently using S-Video, but have read that Component Video is better for HDTV applications, is this a major difference?

I already have a Toslink cable connecting the DVD Player to the Receiver, I just wanted recommendations on connecting the video.

If I should go to component video, can anyone recommend a good set in the $50 range? I'm sure the monster stuff is OK, but having peddled some of their products before (several years ago), I know that the retailers like to push them because the profit margins are ungodly high, not necessarily because they're great cables.

Thanks!
    Eric