What's new

Connecting HDTV to old stereo receiver (1 Viewer)

jd25

Auditioning
Real Name
Jit
I'm planning to buy an LCD HDTV. I have an older stereo receiver from the 90's that is hooked to couple of Bose speakers also from the 90's. Currently my CD player is connected to the receiver. I'd like to connect the HDTV to my stereo receiver (it has phono, CD, Tape1 and Tape2 ports) so that I can get the HDTV sound via the receiver/external speaker. I plan to connect hi-def cable DVR to HDTV via HDMI and my current DVD player to HDTV via red/white/black cables (that is it is connected to my current standard def TV).

What type of cable do I need to procure (other than HDMI cable) to connect the HDTV to the receiver?

Thanks!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
You are not going to get digital sound out of any of your components with the equipment you have. The best you are going to get out of your TV is analog stereo. Any decent red/white audio cable will transmit the sound from your TV to the receiver, although you could get pretty much the same effect by connecting all of your components directly to the receiver.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks