What's new

Connecting components to surge protector.....help? (1 Viewer)

DerekM

Agent
Well, I just purchased a Panamax 4300 surge protector, and am wondering if there is any special way that I'm supposed to connect the components? I notice that most of the components have a Power outlet or two on the back of each that enables me to basically have everything daisy-chained to each other. Should I do this in order to conserve as many outlets as possible on the Panamax, or should I plug them all into it? I suppose that I wouldn't need the extra outlets, seeing as it will be in my A/V rack, and it's dedicated to home theater......I'm just wondering if it protects it better one way or the other? Thanks for the help! Derek.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Plug them directly into the Panamax if you have enough outlets on it. I don't think protection is an issue in either case, but sufficient power definitely could be. It could be the outlets on the back of your equipment aren't up to the task (which the Panamax was designed for), and the more you daisy-chain, the more power the first component(s) in your chain have to provide. In all likelihood you'd be fine either way unless you have really high power equipment coupled with cheap components, but why chance it?

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Derek,

If your amplifier is plugged into Panamax 4300, then anything in the amp's Switched outlet is protected, too. I have my DVDp in an amp switched outlet because it's closer than the cord length run to my surge protector on the floor behind the HT cabinetry.

Most amp Switched outlets cannot handle more than 100-120watts, so not advisable for, say, subwoofer amp power cords.

I would try to get as many components as you can plugged into the Panamax just to achieve the cleanest paths for which it's designed. Don't forget your cabletv coax, too, if you've got it.

bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks