What's new

Connecting AVR receivers (1 Viewer)

plslakewood

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Smith
Good points! I will have to do some reconfiguration with my matrix and see if I can get it all working. Thanks for all of the input.

plslakewood

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Smith
I have a Denon AVR-3313ci and Onkyo SR606 receivers and want to run two rooms. The main room will run 7.1 speakers driven by the Denon and I want to then run 5.1 speakers via the Onkyo in the second room. I know I can connect to Pre-Amp output from the Denon to Onkyo but the questions is: Can I successfully run this configuration?
Thanks

kvining

Auditioning
Real Name
George Jones
How far can the cable lengths be for the configuration shown in post 2? I was thinking of doing something similar but my RCA cords would have to be 25" long to go the pre-out route, I would have to make them up from typical heavy speaker wire "zip cord" already in place that runs between the two rooms from an earlier "Zone 2" style setup, but it sure would be nice to have the room on a separate receiver. If 25 ft isn't too far, I just need to solder RCA connectors on the wires and I've got it.....

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Are you wanting to drive the receivers simultaneously from a single source?
If so - you'll want to connect the preouts of your 3313CI to the 5.1 inputs on your 606 - that just requires an RCA cable per channel. There should be no problem doing this theoretically, though I've never done this myself in practice so I can't speak from experience.

See below image:

plslakewood

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Smith
Thanks for the reply.
To answer your questions, No as my sources wont allow for dual or multiple access. My sources are cable box and PS3. I would like to be able to play a game or watch a movie in the main room and listen to music or watch TV via cable box in the second room.

plslakewood

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Smith
After looking at the diagram, it looks like I would lose the connection to the subwoofer on the Denon. Could I pre-amp via the Zone2 or Zone3 connection?

plslakewood

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Smith
That I do not know. There must be something on the net for distance of RCA cabling.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
From what you say you want, just set them up as two separate, standalone systems. There is no need to connect them together.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Long RCA runs should be done over coax. Won't make any difference if all copper or copper clad. RG59 or RG6. If you "wonder why".... Digital Coax Component video Composite video... Shielded subwoofer Those 4 cables are all the same thing(and yes, Component in triplicate). RCA ended coax. All copper RG6 can be ran thousands of feet. As in 5000-9000 ft. That is why Xantech is based on coax.

plslakewood

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Smith
I want them connected because I want to run 7.1 in one room and 5.1 in the other room. The Denon does not support this type of configuration. I also want to be able to access my sources from both. If this is a crazy idea then please let me know.
Thanks

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Well, you said your sources were PS3 and Cable box.

Any reason you can't have two cable boxes? If not, then you can split the output signal using an HDMI splitter to feed both receivers.

For the PS3, can you even PLAY the system from the second room if the unit itself is in the first room? If you get receivers with front panel HDMI inputs, then it's REALLY easy to simply move the PS3 from one room to the other.

Besides, I think the pre-outs from one receiver will only output the active input - so you can't watch one source in one room, and another in the the second room if the two receivers are connected in the way you describe.

plslakewood

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Smith
Ah, I see. I had a feeling it would be difficult to achieve.
I appreciate the feedback. I will have to re-assess what I to do in the second room.
Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you want 5.1 fed from one avr to the next room...
Keep dreaming. I don't even think the Yamaha RX-A1/2/3000/10/20 do it.
The best you get is 2.0. If you wanted HDMI from "main room" to "2nd Zone"...you should have bought an AVR capable of that(Elite SC67 and 2 Onkyo)

I don't know what outputs you have on your sources, but can you run HDMI connections to the Denon and Component/optical TOSLINK to the Onkyo?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
If you want to have different content in each room, you'll need a different piece of equipment to accomplish your goal. What you need is an HDMI Matrix switch like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5704&seq=1&format=2

This lets you route the HDMI inputs to variable outputs. So you'd connect one output to each of the receivers (Denon & Onkyo) then route each input to the right one.

plslakewood

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Smith
I have a n HMDI matrix switch already and was thinking of using it in this case. Just wondering if there was some other way to accomplish.
Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I didn't know the 3313 supported it. And the fact you have it, and a matrix...
Utilize both. Then you have maximum flexibility in your system.
There may be times you want the 3313 and 606 working together(whole home off a laptop for a party)...or having nothing to do with each other. Nobody said you can't connect the matrix to HDMI 1 and the 3313 into HDMI 2 on the 606.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Heck, depending on your matrix(enough input spots)...
Why not run HDMI Zone 2 to the matrix...and the matrix back into the 3313?
That way, for the 606 it has access to the 3313, cable and PS3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks