What's new

Confused how to make this idea work! (1 Viewer)

Andrew F

Auditioning
Hello all.
I'm new to this forum, as well to the home theater stuff. :b

My wife, and I are in the middle of having our first home built, and I have some crazy idea's, that I need help on before the drywall goes up.

I'd like to run about 4-5 flat screen LCD monitors around the house. All these monitors will have S-video, component, DVI, etc, inputs on them. I want them to all show the same video from what-ever source I put into it. Either from my DVD player, SP2, digital cable box, or computer :b

My problem is, that the monitors range from anywhere from 40' to about 70' from the source.

My question is, out of all the options I have with the different types of cables, which will best support the length I need without compromising video quality?

I have been told S-Video might be my best choice, but lengh seems to be my biggest problem.

Also, is there any wireless options I have?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

S-Video would be the best because the maximum length for it is much higher than say RGB. A RGB (15-Pin) PC connection has a maximum of 75' for a well shielded cable.

S-Video can be run with RJ-45 cables.

The problem with S-Video is that it won't display high def.

If you can place your video distribution box in the middle of the house equidistant from the screens then you would minimize length of runs. You will need to use one of these to display the same thing on all of the screens.

gabeG

Auditioning
I hate to disagree with Mike but we routinely install RGBHV (delivering a VGA signal) cable runs of several hundred feet, in both commercial and residential installations.

VGA can be done on CAT5E as well, but in some instances the cost overtakes installing VGA cabling.

We would suggest installing 1 x RGBHV, 1 x RG6 and 1 16/4 shielded cable to each location should cover all the basis with the exception of audio. I assume the audio will be distributed through a separate distribution network?

If you are planning on what we call a Hidef digital environment (sales guy talk!) this cable complement will do the trick.

Cheers, Gabe

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Yes, you can run long lengths of component, but you MUST use highest quality wire. Belden makes some nice mini BG59 snake that is great. Canare's high-end video cable would be good too. Whatever you run, don't do extra tight radius bends, don't pinc it (as in don't tye-wrap it tightly, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks