Confused by Dolby Digital Plus

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by matt1122, Jan 10, 2012.

1. matt1122

matt1122 Auditioning

Hello, everyone and thank you for your help in advance! I have a Sony STR-KS2000 home theater speaker + receiver system which supports Dolby Digital, but as far as I know does not support Dolby Digital Plus. Yet, it seems that when I play Netflix movies with 5.1 sound on my PlayStation 3, they still show as Dolby Digital and I get full 5.1 sound. The confusing part is that I thought Netflix used Dolby Digital Plus as the codec for 5.1 audio, and I thought that Dolby Digital Plus was not backwards-compatible with Dolby Digital. So why am I getting 5.1 audio if my receiver (allegedly) does not support the codec which Netflix (allegedly) is using?

2. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    It's fully backwards compatible. Even Dolby TrueHD contains a DD/AC3 compliant core.

3. matt1122

matt1122 Auditioning

So is everything just software decoded by the PS3 and sent to the receiver as DD/AC3 instead of DDP/EAC3?

4. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Correct.

5. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    there is some confusion about the ps3 dolby digital +. it suppose to be doing it, but its not. the new panasonic 110,210, and 310 can decode the DD+ off of netflix. Jacob

6. matt1122

matt1122 Auditioning

If it's not, then why am I able to watch 5.1 movies on Netflix with 5.1 audio with a receiver that doesn't support Dolby Digital Plus?