What's new

Condo? (1 Viewer)

Rob||Kur||

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm thinking about moving out the folks' house and into my grandmother's condo. She's only there a couple days out of the month and will let me rent it at a very attractive price.

I'm wondering though, how low will I have to go? Sound levels, that is.

The nice thing about it is it has a finished basement. Above the finished basement is her main level. The walls where my TV/mains/sub would go face outside and to another room in her basement. However, as in any condo, there are neighbors.

From personal experience, how is the isolation in your average condo? Will I have to listen to stuff at low volumes, or do you think I'll have some freedom as long as I don't play the Saving Private Ryan intro at ear-bleeding levels at 3 in the morning?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Depends on the construction. Some condos have concrete block dividing walls or concrete and steel construction. At the other extreme, they have wallboard and studs separating two units. The best idea is to use the finished basement. Probably foundation concrete between you and anyone you might bother. That should be good for reference volumes at reasonably hours.
BTW, I live in an apartment with sound insulated stud and plaster walls in between units. I usually play at 20-15 below reference and have had no complaints in 2+ years. I'm sure I could crank it more, but the noise carries into the common hallway and that might get someone's attention.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
It's generally people above and below you that you have to worry about more, and it sounds like you're free of that concern. I would stick with the basement just in case, though.

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
I live in a second story condo and have never had problems in the 3+ years. I typically watch movies very loud (-12 with reference at 0) and no one ever complains, except my girlfriend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks