Condescension [Vent]

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Samuel Des, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

Warning: I'm venting. Please ignore. I just need to get this out.
    I often wonder why solicitations for information are sometimes met with condescension. Occasionally, simple questions are answered with appeals to more and more obscure literature and jargon. However, I am comforted in knowing that the anti-newbie attitude is not at all common; and is actively discouraged. It's great to be among friends.
    Sorry. Again, I just needed to get that out.
    -----------------
    Best, Sam
    [Edited last by Samuel Des on September 23, 2001 at 10:51 AM]

2. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

I understand your frustration .... but remember, most posters would never say things those things or with quite the air destain to your face. It's easy behind a keyboard.
    I think this forum is more tame than most. You want some real jerks, try the hi-fi newsgroups. I once asked an opinion on B&W vs Monitor Audio. I was told by one "audiophile" that he'd rather have his spleen removed than listen to any of those speakers.
    It could be a lot worse.

3. Samuel Des

Scott -- Thanks for the reply. I feel a little better now. [​IMG] I understand that no one owes me their time; but if one is going to answer, why not be helpful?
    ------------------
    Best, Sam

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Sam, please email one of the moderators if you have a specific thread, post, or author in mind. I'm sure that one of us will be more than happy to open a can of whoop-ass, as necessary. [​IMG]
    - Steve

5. Eric Scott

Eric Scott Second Unit

Samual. I read your post below from hardware:

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Can't speak for everyone, but I've always enjoyed wonderful treatment by everyone in all the boards--including "Hardware" and "TVs and Projectors." I've not seen this "smugness" anywhere. And whenever condescension rears its ugly head, the offending person is usually reprimanded (or worse). You're not going to find a politer Internet site anywhere (with the exception of Mike Knapp's wonderful site, of course). Sorry for sounding like a Pollyanna, but the civil tone of Home Theater Forum is one of the many reasons I've stayed around.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

7. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

8. Samuel Des

Oh, I agree with you all. This is among the most civil and rewarding places to be on the 'net. (And this is the reason why I continue to be a proud member.) But I sometimes feel as though I'm getting stepped on, when in fact, as was pointed out, I might simply be in the crossfire, &c. I was just venting, [​IMG] and I appreciate your time. I am even more embarassed when I see What I wrote above, and will edit it.
    Again, thanks for writing. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Best, Sam