What's new

Condescension [Vent] (1 Viewer)

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Warning: I'm venting. Please ignore. I just need to get this out.
I often wonder why solicitations for information are sometimes met with condescension. Occasionally, simple questions are answered with appeals to more and more obscure literature and jargon. However, I am comforted in knowing that the anti-newbie attitude is not at all common; and is actively discouraged. It's great to be among friends.
Sorry. Again, I just needed to get that out.
-----------------
Best, Sam
[Edited last by Samuel Des on September 23, 2001 at 10:51 AM]

Scott_G

Second Unit
I understand your frustration .... but remember, most posters would never say things those things or with quite the air destain to your face. It's easy behind a keyboard.
I think this forum is more tame than most. You want some real jerks, try the hi-fi newsgroups. I once asked an opinion on B&W vs Monitor Audio. I was told by one "audiophile" that he'd rather have his spleen removed than listen to any of those speakers.
It could be a lot worse.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Scott -- Thanks for the reply. I feel a little better now.
blush.gif
I understand that no one owes me their time; but if one is going to answer, why not be helpful?
------------------
Best, Sam

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Sam, please email one of the moderators if you have a specific thread, post, or author in mind. I'm sure that one of us will be more than happy to open a can of whoop-ass, as necessary.
biggrin.gif

- Steve

Eric Scott

Second Unit
Samual. I read your post below from hardware:
The most popular SVS design (as tested by Nouisane) has all the tell takle signs of a extremely extended bass shelf design:
quote: I haven't a clue what this means. But I assume from the tone, it means "bad."
This is full blown arguement that you posted in between. Each side is pissed and too busy writing rebuttles to pay any attention to your question. At that point they are strictly trying to get back at the other guy the best they can without having the "fight" stopped by a moderator.
In this case you may as well have walked between a shootout asking, "Who ordered the pizza with anchovies?"
I don't know the answer either, but when I have a specific question I usually post a new topic or select a member who appears to have the answers and send him a private or direct email.
[Edited last by Eric Scott on September 22, 2001 at 01:59 PM]

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Can't speak for everyone, but I've always enjoyed wonderful treatment by everyone in all the boards--including "Hardware" and "TVs and Projectors." I've not seen this "smugness" anywhere. And whenever condescension rears its ugly head, the offending person is usually reprimanded (or worse). You're not going to find a politer Internet site anywhere (with the exception of Mike Knapp's wonderful site, of course). Sorry for sounding like a Pollyanna, but the civil tone of Home Theater Forum is one of the many reasons I've stayed around.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Oh, I agree with you all. This is among the most civil and rewarding places to be on the 'net. (And this is the reason why I continue to be a proud member.) But I sometimes feel as though I'm getting stepped on, when in fact, as was pointed out, I might simply be in the crossfire, &c. I was just venting,
blush.gif
and I appreciate your time. I am even more embarassed when I see What I wrote above, and will edit it.
Again, thanks for writing.
blush.gif

------------------
Best, Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks