What's new

concerns with new panasonic 36" hd tau (1 Viewer)

brian__pratt

Agent
i picked up (figuratively and literally) a panasonic tau 36" hdtv last weekend and after watching it a bit...have started to notice problems with it.
(i was originally supposed to have the 40" XBR delivered---that didn't happen...long story for another post!)
SO, i have noticed the following and am wondering if it is something i can adjust myself (insert NOVICE tv tweaker here), or if this is a warranty issue:
1. going through the THX video tests on the star wars ep1 dvd...the convergence is WAY off. the test that shows a large circle with two squares around it...the largest square is barely visible, and goes off screen on the left side.
2. wavering/quivering when the screen is all black...also happens with alot of bass (i figured it was from vibration, but seems to happen slighly without loud sounds as well). it does happen very noticeably if i tap the side of the tv case (lightly, of course). is that something loose inside or is that normal?
3. slight color degredation around the edges. doesn't always happen...but seems to happen when displaying whites...they sometimes flash blue/cyan color. looks like what a magnet does to a picture temporarily (speakers are not close to the set and are shielded)
WHEW! that's all for now. :)
i have not used a calibration dvd for colors, etc yet, but feel these problems are not related to standard menu settings.
thoughts?
thanks!

brian__pratt

Agent
one additional thing i noticed:

when watching 16:9 movies...the black bars are not symetrical...the bottom bar is not even all the way across...appearing slanted and approx 3.5" high on the left and 4.0" on the right.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
Flat tube sets are notorious for having below average geometry and convergence issues that cannot be easily fixed. Usually the problems are not symmetrical and as such, there is nothing in the service menu that could fix it. You usually find that 9 of 10 sets will have some type of crappy geometry issue ... but the store is not going to stand there and let you open box after box until you find one you can live with. :frowning:
Discolouration on parts of the image also seem to plague the flat tubes ... strangely ... especially panasonic tubes from what I have seen. You may find that the discolouration changes if you were to move the TV about the room.
I had a client who had this discoloration issue and he ended up getting Panasonic to replace the tube ... many of the problems were still there with the new tube, but much less. He is relatively satisfied now.
Regards

brian__pratt

Agent
Thank you for the information. I can live with most of the problems...just wanted to make sure it wasn't a lemon. If it's a limitation of the technology...then that's just the way it is! :frowning:
Since it is "only" a $1500 tv...I didn't know if doing the ISF route on it is worth it. Do you think that would be worthwhile? Or is it a waste on a mid-range tv like this?

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
We're actually arguing the benefits of ISFing a 'cheaper' tv in another thread... I don't know how to link to threads but its the "should I stay away from the Panny" thread. Anyway, my impression is that an ISF tech can't do nearly as much with a tube set as he can with a rear-projection. But then again, I'm not an ISF tech, so hopefully one will jump in here and let you know whether their service can help you or not.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
ISF'ing a tube set like this has an SRP of $225.
If you want SVM disabled ... that is a bit extra since you have to open up the set to get at it. And some add on house call fees ... some don't.
What you will get is a proper grayscale and possible fixes to some colour decoder issues. What is that worth to you? Just think of it as renting a guy and the piece of equipment. Not much else.
Note ... it is usually possible to bargain with the ISF guy over price. Tube sets are considered to be very easy and can be done in well under 1 hour ... but do not let them know I said that. ;)
Prior to jumping into this calibration field, when I lived in Minneapolis way back when ... I had a 36" Toshiba tube set (analog) and I fiddled with the RGB cut and driver values to no end. I hired the local guy to just get it right for me once and for all and I bargained him down to $175.
It was worth it for me at the time because it did not break the bank and it was good to know just how off my own perception of colour was ... prior to seeing what the reference looked like.
Regards

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
Brian, I'd go have a look at the same model in a store or two before you determine that it is just something to live with. Michael is right in that convergence and some of those tube-related issues can only be "adjusted" by fiddling with the magnets and whatnot on the CRT (nothing any sane person would attempt). You'll definately want to make sure you have a good tube before bothering with calibration.

$225 is the SRP for just the greyscale adjustment. If you have multiple input sources and resolutions (480p, 1080i, etc) to adjust then the SRP is higher. I just paid $400 for get three inputs and the usual greyscale/geometry/etc done on my Panny 34wx50. It took 2.5 hrs. A pretty tidy sum for a couple hours of work, though....maybe I should have haggled a bit.

I love the results, though. My screen is also imperfect. When viewing 4:3 material the black bars on the side are not perfectly symetrical. They bow outward at the top inch of the screen by a three grid lines...I assume it is something that I'll just have to live with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks