Concerns about driving full range speakers with HK receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EmetW, Mar 22, 2003.

1. EmetW

EmetW Stunt Coordinator

My big concern is that HK's have a low power rating vs. other receivers which is OK with my because I know they are underrated for the most part, but in this day and age a low power rating could also mean a manufacturer is taking advantage of so many "HT in a box" small speaker systems buyers. These systems commonly have ~3" "woofers" that don't require the receiver to put out a lot of power. I would like to get an HK receiver because of the warmth they seem to possess over many others that I have looked at, but I will be driving full range speakers and MAYBE a powered sub, but not likely in the near future. Will 40-60 HK watts be sufficient in producing bass/midbass? I'd rather not have to EQ anything if possible...

I'm looking namely at the AVR-125, AVR-210, AVR-220, and AVR310 for their $300 and less price tags in the used market. Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts.

2. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

3. EmetW

EmetW Stunt Coordinator

Excellent! That's good enough for me [​IMG]

4. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

5. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Hk receivers are excellent. Most of the time they'll be more than sufficient. Getting your desired output has a lot to do with how sensitive your speakers are.