Concerns about amp/electronics and old home wiring

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Troy R, Mar 22, 2004.

  1. Troy R

    Troy R Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2003
    Messages:
    197
    Likes Received:
    0
    My wife and I are buying our first home. The house is 80 years old and most of the wiring is still knob and tube style. Should I be concerned about plugging my electronics into these outlets since there is no ground present? Should I use a surge protector, cheater plug, something else? Or not use my stereo at all? Is there anything I should be concerned about until I can get the outlets rewired?

    Any info would be greatly appreciated! I don't think I can live without my stereo for a few months! [​IMG]

    Thanks,
    Troy
     
  2. Troy R

    Troy R Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2003
    Messages:
    197
    Likes Received:
    0
    Help? Anyone?
     
  3. Cees Alons

    Cees Alons Moderator
    Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 1997
    Messages:
    19,316
    Likes Received:
    289
    Real Name:
    Cees Alons
    Troy,

    I live in a house that's more than 100 years old and some of the wiring is more than 80 yrs old too (at each reconstruction, we're obliged by regulations to change the wiring).

    You can start using it without many problems, I think, for so do I. But you better get a professional opinion based on inspection of what you have there. Some parts could really be bad or unsafe. That's especially important if you bring (or going to have [​IMG] ) kids in that house.

    It won't hurt your equipment, though.


    Cees
     
  4. Troy R

    Troy R Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2003
    Messages:
    197
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for the info Cees! I'll have to just live with it until I can get the house rewired.

    Thanks again!
    Troy
     

Share This Page