What's new

Concerns about amp/electronics and old home wiring (1 Viewer)

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
My wife and I are buying our first home. The house is 80 years old and most of the wiring is still knob and tube style. Should I be concerned about plugging my electronics into these outlets since there is no ground present? Should I use a surge protector, cheater plug, something else? Or not use my stereo at all? Is there anything I should be concerned about until I can get the outlets rewired?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! I don't think I can live without my stereo for a few months! :frowning:

Thanks,
Troy

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Troy,

I live in a house that's more than 100 years old and some of the wiring is more than 80 yrs old too (at each reconstruction, we're obliged by regulations to change the wiring).

You can start using it without many problems, I think, for so do I. But you better get a professional opinion based on inspection of what you have there. Some parts could really be bad or unsafe. That's especially important if you bring (or going to have :) ) kids in that house.

It won't hurt your equipment, though.

Cees

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info Cees! I'll have to just live with it until I can get the house rewired.

Thanks again!
Troy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks