What's new

Computer to HT receiver (1 Viewer)

EricDeB

Stunt Coordinator
I got a quick question. I am going to get a surround sound receiver and I would like to hook up my computer. How do I take full advantage of my speakers. Do I need to buy a fancy computer sound card to get great sound or can I do it another way. Thanks in advance!!

Eric

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
The regular way is just to use any basic soundcard with an SPDIF output, and run that to the digital in on your receiver and you are ready to go for full surround from DVD. You can also use headphone adapter things to get basic stereo, etc.

EricDeB

Stunt Coordinator
Actually I just wanted to listen to Music on my PC. I use my own DVD player for playing movies. I wanted to listen to my songs on my computer in 6.1 surround sound.

Tod Golden

Stunt Coordinator
Eric

I have done this several times. I just connect my optical out to one of the optical ins on my receiver. Make sure the setting for the sound card is set to output 5.1 or 6.1.

You'll have to use one of the DSP modes like PLII to get sound from all of your speakers.

Hope this helps - Tod

EricDeB

Stunt Coordinator
sorry well see I don't have a sound card or a HT receiver yet. It was just kind of a general question. Thanks for the advice.

Vince Antrim

Agent
Eric,

I did the same thing, but on a small budget, I just got a splitter for the audio out on the computer, then ran RCA's under the floor, thru the basement, and up to the reciever. Now my MP3's can be enjoyed in full surround, and it sounds pretty darn good.

Vince

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
I have an HK 7200, and HK sells a USB device specifically designed to go from the PC to the receiver. I am able to listen to MP3s, etc with no problem.

It all sounds pretty good to me- but I'm not an audiophile, so I might be missing something.

Maybe your receiver also has such a device.

Mike_Craft

Stunt Coordinator
i also use an rca to mini adaptar (First I split my line out on my sound card to 2 rcas.. then I put the 2 rcas into a left and right chans on my reciver. Then I throw on prologic 2 and music sounds very good. Movies still dont get 5.1 this way however. I have a sound blaster audigy gamer and it has a 5.1 slot at the back but its only a mini plug slot (same as the others) and I also wondered how I could get true 5.1 surround on my Speakers from my pc.

do i somehow use this 5.1 mini slot on my sound card or do I need like a newer audigy 2 which has optical out?

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Pus: Can you give me the model number or a link for that USB device? Also, how do like your 7200?

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
do i somehow use this 5.1 mini slot on my sound card or do I need like a newer audigy 2 which has optical out?

Just use one of those Mini-RCA adapters on the mini digital out and connect a coax digital cable. You're set. I ahve this right now and I get true 5.1

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
John, the device is called a DAL150. The information on the HK website is not accessing for some reason- but here is the link to the 7200 and it's peripheal equipment- like the DAL 150
http://www.harmankardon.com/product_...sjump=&#active

You can get a DAL150 off of ebay for $15 right now. It works really well. It uses Windows Media Player as it's interface. I have about 40 gig of MP3s (all my legal rips thank you very much) on tap. They sounded very nice through the DAL 150.

I am very happy with my 7200- but in all honesty, I have not been able to really flex it's muscle. My ex-cat peed on it, shorting out something- so it's been in the shop the last month. I never had a chance to hook everything up to it.

But the price is right, and I think it's a pretty good value. There are some folks on the board who are running the 7200- and they seem to be very happy. And with all the recent moaning about HKs- I have not seen the 7200 listed as a problem machine.

Best of luck

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Pus: Good information about the device, I'll check it out.

Man....that sux about your cat and your 7200. Well, I mean ex-cat. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but cat urine is one of the most difficult smells to remove known to man. I know first hand because my first house I bought had a corner of a room had been sprayed with cat urine. We bought the house in the dead of winter, so the smell was not very noticeable. In the spring it was a different story. Over the next few months we replaced that section of carpet, carpet padding, molding and trim work all with only modest success. We even used a special paint made for cat urine but in the summer you could still smell it. Thankfully, it was a seldom-used second bedroom. Needless to say, when we went to sell the house we placed it on the market in December and sold in less then 30 days.

Since you’re dealing with a piece of electronics I can only hope your experience has a better ending.

EricCrane

Agent
I would suggest getting a new dvd player that supports mp3 and wav files and burn you music on to discs. It would only cost you between 50-70 bucks for a cheap one. A cheap sound card goes for about $30 and you wouldn't have to run any cables to your receiver from your pc.

I got the toshiba sd3960 which can read cd/dvd r and rw formats. I got it for $70. Couldn't be happier with it for the price I paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks