What's new

computer setup ?? don't know what to do! (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
hey im looking for a setup for my dorm next semester. I got a budget of < 150 CDN. im torn between going with a computer speaker setup or regular speakers... I aleady got a stereo reciever and all. so i'd only need the speakers.
I'll be sitting really close if that makes a difference... 3-4' away

thanks for the input :)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Are you talking about speakers to use for your computer or speakers for the room in general?

If for the room in general, skip the computer speakers.

PeterK

Supporting Actor
i live in a suite style dorm. my individual bedroom is 9x10 and i am looking for something to hook up to my computer. i have an adaptor that splits the green computer out to a left/right

PeterK

Supporting Actor
stereo
with a sub if computer speakers, without if not.
(assuming a regular pair of speakers and sub can't be gotten for < 150 :) )

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
you need the swan m200s, you can get them at newegg still i think: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tem=36-136-102

Nothing else even comes close to these at this price, do not underestimate the lack of a subwoofer here, no "sub/sat" multimedia system will touch the sound quality of these babies, and they have excellent bass capabilities if you want it, though I like accurate and flat bass, so usually desktop placement makes these boomy so I turn down the bass a great deal. These are self-powered, so you can connect them directly to your computer without need for a receiver/amp.

If you wish to use your current receiver, I suggest you look at Axiom or Paradigm, both canadian brands. Paradigm Atoms would be an excellent choice for computer speakers. You're not going to find any kind of regular media speakers that will touch these choices, all excellent little speakers.

PeterK

Supporting Actor
very nice, but out of my price range. Im just concerned about not getting the bass that the sat/sub system gets

I'll check out the paradigms

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
then wait and stretch your pricerange, twenty bucks less for something else is a horrible waste of money in comparison...

PeterK

Supporting Actor
oh i suppose so... it's not like i don't have the money, thats just the budget i have set. its just im not so sure about the powered speakers... that means i can never hook them up with an HT

PeterK

Supporting Actor
ok. should i be concerned with the fact that im sitting so close to the speakers? 3-4'
Is that price american btw? what will shipping cost be?
hey. do those speakers have a speaker output on the back that i could potentially hook a sub up to?

damn. those swans will JUST barely not fit on my desk with my 2 monitor setup i'm planning !

PeterK

Supporting Actor
ok, so i don't think i can afford anything but a multi-media package now, plus i need tiny speakers to fit on my desk with my dual monitor setup.
im looking at these 3 packages,

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index...=005685&cid=SP
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index...=005649&cid=SP
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index...=008360&cid=SP

so the 2300 hundred clearly has the most power, but looking at the satellites, i dont see how they can handle the power.
My roomate has the Z3e. and it starts to distort past half volume, and those are only 8.5 watts per channel, on the 2300 it claims 40 watts, but the thing is they look to be almost the exact same speaker just the 2300 is a slightly larger driver.
thats why im also looking at the z4, it has three drivers. so im basically looking for a comparison between the sattelites of all of them... especially the z4 and the 2300. There is not really much point in having loud volume capabilities if it sounds like crap when i turn it past a quarter.

AndrewLevine

Stunt Coordinator
PeterL,
I'm a college student at University of Maryland and I went through the same thing you did. I bought the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system. It retails around $155 most places I've seen, and I'm sure it can be purchased cheaper over the internet. It may not look huge, but the subwoofer really thumps- people down the hall can hear my bass, and the clarity is pretty good as well.

Now, if you enjoy blasting music just as much as I do, the sub can take it, but sometimes the speakers may have a hard time and distort a little (there's no adjustable crossover). If your retailer suggests you purchase an extended warranty, it may not be a terrible idea (I blew out one of the speakers).

Go to your local Best Buy, bring a cd/mp3 player with a double ended 1/8" minijack cable, and plug in your music to the speakers, should be sufficient.

Hope i helped,
Andrew

PeterK

Supporting Actor
hmm... the cheapest i can get it around here is 199 canadian, and thats pushing it. It only has a 6.5" woofer, which worries me a bit... but the satellites do look exceptionally better than the logitecs... but again, it is getting pricy.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Peter,

Take a look at my review of the Yamaha MS50 set-up (see link in my signature). It's hard to beat them for the money. I know they'll blow away the cheaper of the Logitechs you linked, and probably the better one, too.

mark tu

Grip
I agree with Andrew
The Klipsch 2.1 pro media speakers ROCK!
I buy the computers for work, and over the years have had just about every brand, type and style of speakers... none compared to Klipsch.
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks