What's new

Computer reboots??? (1 Viewer)

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi I've been havin wich I hope is not a serious hardware problem. When I play Falcon 4 (flight sim) my computer restarts it has happened like 4 times in the last month.
Im not sure if the CPU is overheating thats why it shuts off but it is getting me a lil worried I dont wanna damage my cpu my specs are in the sig, I also have a Antec 350 watt Power Supply.I was hoping someone could shed some light on this THNX!!:D

I am using the supplied Heatsink & fan that came with the CPU!!

BrentC

Agent
it sounds like either overheating or an overstreched registry. is you case getting good ventilation? you can have the best heatsink in the world, but if the hot air just stays in the case there is only so much it can do. is the problem just during gaming? What graphics card do you have? If you have one of the big ATI's... those are power hungry and produce mucho heat.

As for the registry try a reformat and clean install(after you back up of course)

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi I have good ventilation the case has 3 in the case 1 fornt,side and rear. I have a G4 MX 420 so that cant be the culprit.
I just reformatted and installed XP Pro about a month ago. It so far has only happened when I play Falcon 4, it never happened before with Win ME. I had bought the new system last November and kept Win ME on it never had a restart problem it happened after I installed XP Pro???:D

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I think this is a software problem. Have you checked for any game updates? I don't know anything about the game, but if it doesn't say that it is ok with XP Pro, then that might cause it.

Also, have you tried any other intensive games lately? If the game is trying to do something intensive and hits a roadblock, it would crash - but XP is supposed to be better than that, but shit does happen.

Glenn

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Restarts during a game can indicate bad video drivers. Try completely uninstalling your current drivers, restart and then install the newest nVidia Detonator drivers.

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that it is probably video related. It could be the video card is getting to hot or there is a driver problem. Make sure you have the updated Geforce drivers. Also, check to see if there are patches to Falcon 4. From my experience, Windows XP will make everything run hotter than Windows ME. Maybe add or move a fan closer to the video card.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
An overheat or other stability issue could be checked for by running one of the burn-in testing programs - it basically kicks PC's ass for a while to test for stability. If you have a general stability problem it theoretically shouldn't get through the burn-in test. That would narrow it down to the game.

I agree that it sounds like a video card/driver issue. Try reinstalling your video drivers, and make sure your game is patched to the latest version.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Guys guys...this is the infamous crashfest called FALCON 4. :D

I'm amazed you even got Falcon 4 to even run on an XP machine! Have you tried right-clicking on the Falcon 4 launch icon and looking at the Windows Compatibility options? Maybe you need to turn on Windows 2000 or Windows NT or one of the other Windows OS options.

You may try searching Google.com to see if anyone else has similar problems.

Good luck...you're a brave brave man. :D

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Max sounds familiar with the issue. Sounds like a game/Windows specific issue, as most of us have speculated.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Falcon 4... Apex inbound *0.34 secs* BOOM!!...

My thrustmater F-22, TQS, and that beautiful F4 binder have been collecting dust for more than 2 years now... I never thougth I would lose interest in flight simulation, but I did :frowning:.

Memories...

--
Holadem

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi Holadem theres been ALOT goin on in the F4 world. You should dust that cover off and install the 1.08 patch and SP3 Patch alot has been fixed its the sim it should have been from day 1!!:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks