What's new

CompUSA & Harry Potter WS vs. FS (1 Viewer)

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Guys, if you call your local CompUSA, they should already have Harry Potter in stock. Of course, they're not going to sell it until they open tomorrow. But, my local manager was nice to offer this figure....

They got in 18 widescreen copies for sell, along with 105 FULL-SCREEN versions. I voiced my displeasure with their ordering, and the manager couldn't understand either why they would send such a skewed margin of FS versions. Either way....it looks like a lot more FS one's are gonna get sold, especially at that $9.99 price with a free mouse pad.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Not sure why you started a new thread just about this, but...
Similar story here, Kyle. After reading this, I checked with my local CompUSA's mgr-on-duty, and told him up-front that I preferred WS (he does too), and that I was concerned as to how many copies of each format he's getting tomorrow at that terrific price. He promptly offered to check for me.
He stated that they were getting 17 WS copies in (what do you wanna bet it's 18, but one's put aside for him?). He flat out refused to say how many FS copies were coming, but stated that it was a LOT, "probably due to the overwhelming demand for FS from their customers". :angry:

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Yeah Dave, seems like a company wide deal. I should have stated this, but via this thread I was hoping others would do what you did, and call their local stores to see how many of each version they were getting in. With this sale, and very limited supply of OAR copies at CompUSA, the WS/FS sell-through ratio is going to be very one sided.

MatS

Screenwriter
and you wonder why full scream outsells widescreen
click here to see why>>> compusa
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Anyone got any prices from other B&M? I'm thinking Best Buy and Wal-Mart and maybe Circuit City will try and fight that CompUSA deal, if not beat it, come close with maybe more in stock.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Blockbuster Video will price match any deal on the Harry Potter DVD. The Blockbuster near me is getting exclusively widescreen for rent and about 4 times as many WS as FS for sell-thru. Might be worth calling to find out.

MatS

Screenwriter
Matt,
just a little reminder of what Blockbuster's current slogan is ...
"RENTING IS BETTER THAN BUYING
Will you REALLY watch a DVD more than once?"
if you agree with that statement and their past policies regarding ws vs fs than I'm sure you will have no problems giving them your money.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=62431

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
My local Circuit City ad shows a picture of the DVD and the box says: Special Widescreen Edition. I'll try to stop by tomorrow morning. Their price is $15.99.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
MatS, we've been over the CompUSA $52,802 website typo already in two other threads! :rolleyes:Long story short, it is the same $52,802 pricetag on the fullscreen version as on the widescreen version you linked to.
CompUSA is, however, going pro-MAR with their stock lovels of over-100 MAR vs. under-2-dozen OAR in their stores. :eek: THIS should be complained about!
On the other hand, it's not like they're a player. That's the reason for the $9.97 price: to get foot traffic. To put it into street terms, let's just bitch to management about needing more OAR copies, rape them on the loss leader, and be done with it. (Can you tell I'm feeling irritable right now? :laugh: )
Kyle, thanks for mentioning the Roundup. :emoji_thumbsup:

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
:D Good find for a laugh MatS. Let's hope this is not a sign of the future pricing for OAR titles.
-Eric

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
"RENTING IS BETTER THAN BUYING
Will you REALLY watch a DVD more than once?"
if you agree with that statement and their past policies regarding ws vs fs than I'm sure you will have no problems giving them your money.
:rolleyes
I hate Blockbuster, but sadly it's the only place nearby that I can rent from (as I hate Netflix and I hate Hollywood Video even more) and I had no problem giving them my money for a used copy of Mulholland Dr. in perfect condition for $8 on Saturday and I have no problem giving them $9 for a new copy of Harry Potter in widescreen on Tuesday (it beats going out of my way just to go to Circuit City, CompUSA, or Best Buy).

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Actually, you're TAKING money from them, considering that the discs probably cost them $16 each for the sell-thru copies

MatS

Screenwriter
I would love to agree with you Jeff and statements like that about Best Buy and the like when they price merchandise for under cost...but logic dictates with the amount of money these superstores are receiving in co-op advertising and deep discounts for buy ins, they are not having the losses you may think they are.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Just called my local CompUSA and they said they are all sold out of HP. What a crock, they only get enough to make it through a half-day of their 3 day sale. And you can bet they won't get anymore before they close on Thursday.

Guess 19.99 will have to do.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I strongly suggest that you get the ad and price match it at Kmart. This is what I did. Kmart had plenty of widescreen copies, as well.
In my opinion, CompUSA should have had FAR more copies in stock because they knew how fast they would sell; 100-120 copies for each store is virtually nothing for a deal such as this. Obviously, this was just a ploy to get you into the store to buy something else. Didn't work on me...I just took their ad elsewhere and got the same deal. :)
P.S. I have heard Walmart is honoring the price match but I can't say from experience.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Went to my 'local' CompUSA at 9am (don't ask why I was able to do so...) and by the time I reached the front of the 'Potter line' they had sold out of widescreen. I complained and the manager said he was 'surprised'. I told him he shouldn't be since their buying policies underestimated the intelligence of the buying public. He agreed to give me a 'raincheck' for the $9.97 price when they get them in again. I won't hold my breath. I'll check with others for a price match. Otherwise I'll pass on this title.

Joel

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I got to CompUSA about 20 minutes after they opened, and the widescreen copies were long gone.

Thankfully, Best Buy price matched.

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread