What's new

Comprehensive NON-OAR DVD list (1 Viewer)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, re: Homicidal. Really? The back cover had the tiny disclaimer "This film has been modified..." etc. As it came after "House on Haunted Hill" and the earlier Castle films which were also matted to 1.85, I would have assumed this would be as well.

Got "Strait-Jacket," which I haven't seen before; a brief look through the disc shows that it looks great.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I've made another update to the master list after Columbia has announced yet three more MAR-only titles. Is this the start of a horrible trend?

Special thanks to Byron for such a thorough list and for alphabetizing.

I'm still looking into the distributor name, OAR, and full frame/pan & scan status for the titles listed, and will update each title once it's complete.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
In fairness, Airport needs to be removed. It was originally only available in P&S, but is now available in a pretty good OAR anamorphic version. I know because I own it. :b

Cynthia

Stunt Coordinator
My Girl isn't widescreen. Since it's from Columbia TriStar a re-release in OAR looks grim. :frowning:

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I've added My Girl. That's a film that I enjoyed enough in the theater that I would buy it. I didn't know it was out at all. Must be my pan/scan blindness acting up on me.

Re: Ultraviolet - Anamorphic/Non-anamorphic is out of my scope I'm afraid. It is at an odd AR though, not quite 1.78. I would highly encourage anyone who wants to tackle the anamorphic issue to do so... it's another pet peeve of mine, but P&S is a big enough issue for me right now.

Cynthia

Stunt Coordinator
Also Artisan's March 25 release of How to Kill Your Neighbor's Dog boasts a "Full Screen Version" on the back cover. That leads me to believe there was "Widescreen Version." I don't know anything about the filming process, but if it's any help in determining the OAR, the IMDb says it was filmed with 35mm.
45350bh.jpg

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Another non OAR film is The Great Waldo Pepper with Robert Redford. It was released by Goodtimes Video so I do not know if the transfer to dvd is up to par. Did they recieve the rights to the movie or is it in the public domain? I have always considered it to be somewhat overlooked and a good film. The audio seems to be rather feeble - listed as Dolby Digital 1.0! (mono?).
Anybody know which studio originally released it? I'm betting the original OAR was 2.35.
:) ;) :)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
List has been updated.
I've included A Midnight Clear a brand new MAR announcement from Columbia! Thank you Columbia, for consistantly keeping this thread alive!

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
These are movies I have rented in the past through Netflix that have been cropped to 1.33:1
I think at this point, we've gone way over the line into hearsay.

Just because you rent a title, doesn't mean that:

a) The OAR is not 1.33:1 anyway.

OR

b) There isn't another DVD release of the movie in a different AR.

There have been a number of web sites devoted to AR, and the ones I have seen have been a lot better researched than this thread...

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
"Crimes Of Passion" (bare-bones first AB release).

It is in letterbox, but I read somewhere on here that it's not in its OAR. Could that count?

Sincerely,

John "Looking to pawn off the first release of this so I can buy the new OAR SE" Kilduff

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
You're missing:

Three Men and a Little Lady

Taking Care of Business

Snow Dogs

Max Keeble's Big Move

Cheetah

The Muppet Treasure Island

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
After seeing again the marvy Say Anything over the weekend I was looking for the marvy similar experience by Rob Reiner/John Cusack The Sure Thing and from what I can tell the DVD is Pan & Scan only (and also OOP, though that is hardly relevant).
Please add The Sure Thing to the MAR list.
Ted

Jodee

Screenwriter
The Sure Thing was never released on DVD.
That title, and Valley Girl, were both supposed to come out on Polygram in early 1999. However, the company folded before either of these titles were released.
Sometimes these titles show up in databases as having been on DVD, but it never happened.
Hopefully, when MGM gets around to releasing these they will be OAR.

Chris Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
Now that Artisan, a very inconsistant company, has acquired Trees Lounge (Buscemi) it is no longer OAR. The back of the cover even has the "Modified to fit..." statement.
The previous Pioneer release, while now OOP, is widescreen although not anamorphic.
Those interested would be wise to snatch up the Pioneer release.
Shame on Artisan. They should know better.:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks