What's new

Comprehensive List of Pan & Scan DVDs (Version 3) (1 Viewer)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I believe that earlier threads established that "Justice League" (various discs) is Open Matte. While widescreen is the preferred presentation, I don't believe the discs out there cut off any of the widescreen picture.

"Stuart Little" once was available in OAR, but these days is only available in Pan and Scan.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I have updated the list with several more titles.

I have more clearly stated the scope of this list.

This purpose of the OAR Watchdog is to list films that were shown theatrically in widescreen, but only given a fullscreen release on DVD. Films that are framed incorrectly are beyond the scope of this list. This list only includes Reigon 1 DVDs.

[*]Open Matte and Super35 films are included, because the theatrical aspect ratio is considered the correct ratio, with few exceptions.[*]Stanley Kubrick films are not listed. Nor are any other films that are released in 1.33:1 per Director's request. [*]Animated films framed at 1.66 are not included. The animators painted the cells in this ratio, but the films were matted in the theaters.[*]1.37:1 films framed at 1.33:1 are not listed.

If a widescreen dvd has been discontinued, leaving only a full screen disc available, it will be considered for inclusion. But before including it, I need to see it on a list of discontinued dvds. The only dicontinued list I can find, at dvdreview.com contains none of the dics in question. If there is a more updated list of discontinued discs, please point me in it's direction.

walter o

Supporting Actor
MOUNTAIN MEN (P & S)
GIDGET (P & S)
GRIZZLY (P & S)
BANK SHOT(P & S)
CLIFFORD (open matte)
CARBON COPY (P & S)
JUST ONE OF THE GUYS (open matte)
LIANNA (open matte)
CHARLEY VARRICK (open matte)
RAGE OF HONOR ((P & S)
REVENGE OF THE NINJA (open matte)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Three films by Eliseo Subiela have weak open matte transfers from Facets:

Don't Die Without Telling Me Where You're Going
The Dark Side of the Heart
Last Images of the Shipwreck

MGM's transfer of Charley (1968) is a p&s from 2.35:1.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band, Grind, Straight Talk, Ponette, The Mountain Men, Gidget, Bank Shot, Clifford, Carbon Copy, Just One of the Guys, Lianna, Rage of Honor, Revenge of the Ninja, and Charley Varrick have been added.

Humanoids from the Deep, Death Race 2000 and Basket Case, Justice League have been removed.

I need a year and studio for the other titles.

MGM has announced that Charly will be released widescreen on Feb. 8th.

I went through the other 3 threads, and have made some notes on titles that have been removed, so they will not be added again.

Jade is 1.33:1 per director's request.
Bob Roberts is 1.33:1 on DVD per director's request
Black Orpheus is indeed 1.33:1
Amazon Women on the Moon is now available in widescreen
The Bodyguard is now available in widescreen
Chariots of Fire is now available in widescreen
Police Academy is now available in widescreen
Purple Rain is now available in widescreen
The Commmitments is now available in widescreen
Christmas Vacation is now available in widescreen
A Christmas Story is now available in widescreen
Get Over It is in the right ratio
Sword in the Stone isn't Pan & Scan
Melies The Magician is presented in the original 1.33:1 format
Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves is a direct-to-video production. It's OAR
The Great Santini was produced for TV
Toxic Avenger IS OAR. All Troma movies are 1.33:1
Transformers: The Movie was animated with every intention for 1.33:1 presentation in mind. Cels were 1.66:1
After Dark My Sweet is presented in OAR, but labeled as "Full Frame" on the packaging
Heavenly Creatures can be removed from the list: the new American disc is OAR
The "Joe's Apartment" DVD presentation is absolutely, conclusively, from the horse's mouth, presented incorrectly at 1.33:1
The case for Last Seduction says, "Presented in the original 1.33:1 format
Born Free is OAR
The Goofy Movie is only available in 1.33, but IIRC, this was originally going to be a DTV release, so this may be correct.
Basket Case shouldn't be on the list because Hennenlotter has said that he shot the film for 1.33 not realizing that it would be cropped for theaters.
Humanoids from the Deep & Death Race 200O even say in the DVD's booklet that the open matte transfer is the preferred version.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Definitely not correct. I have this on laser disc, and it's in the OAR of 1.85. I've compared this to the dvd and it's definitely a pan & scan dvd (which I then returned to the store).

Colby

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Colby
A Goofy Movie is indeed P&S. It's OAR is 1.85 : 1.

It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie (2002, MGM) was shot for TV, but it's OAR is 1.78 : 1. Region 2 got it in widescreen.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

MGM cancelled the disc after complaints that it wouldn't be OAR. It was rescheduled for March...although, it's not known if MGM delayed it for a new transfer. Cliff Robertson was told about this, so he probably had something to do with the cancellation. (Also, ChristopherBlig organized the petition and got the word to Robertson :emoji_thumbsup: )

John*P

Second Unit
Problem Child (1990) Universal
Problem Child 2 (1991) Universal

Those two movies are available on the Problem Child Tantrum Pack. Proir to its release, the DVD sites were reporting that both movies would be in anamorphic widescreen, so I was really ticked off when I saw it in the stores in full screen only. :-/

There is also an old Gootimes Home Video DVD of Problem Child, which is also full screen...

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Christopher Bligh and I have conversed about the petition, and about his conversations with Cliff Robertson several times. If you look on popular DVD web sites, such as DVDPlanet, you will notice that Charly has been re-scheduled for March 8th, and that it will be released 16x9. I just hope that the information is correct.

Just because A Goofy Movie was released to theaters in 1:85.1 does not mean it was animated at that ratio. Since it was originally supposed to be a DTV release, 1:33.1 may be the correct ratio. You would have to do a comparison between the two to tell if any information is missing from the sides. If this is open matte, it is correct. Open matte is always the correct presentation for animated titles.

Problem Child 1 & 2 have been added.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I see a lot additions to the list but perhaps my addition of "Bridges of Madison County" was overlooked?

I only bring it up again because either there isn't much information out there about this movie or nobody likes it. I enjoyed the book and am a big fan of Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep, so this film has always interested me. I have been disappointed that it has been P&S all these years on R1 DVD, but it seems like everytime it gets brought up in a thread about OAR, it gets ignored. Perhaps nobody else enjoys this film and perhaps a re-release at OAR would get ignored and that is why there isn't an anamorphic version for R1 out there.

Also, I've never been able to conclusively tell whether it is Open Matte or Super 35. The DVD as it is now says "modified to fit your screen" and it sure looks as if you were to put mattes for OAR it would be severly cropped, cutting off heads everywhere!

Colby

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Colby

I have never heard before that it was intended for video release only. Where did you hear this?

Ultimate Disney lists the region 1 DVD as P&S. The IMDb lists the film as 1.85. Apparently, the laserdisc was wide. The region 2 & 4 DVDs are wide. Now I realize none of those is 100% valid proof. But really, this is Disney we're talking about. They've screwed region 1 many times before just like this (Muppets, anyone?). But unless someone can compare with a laserdisc version, I guess we can't know for sure.

If I knew for a fact that this disc wasn't P&S, I'd gladly own it. :)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I compared it. Lots of information was missing from the side. Hence the dvd is pan & scan, NOT open matte.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I just thought of a movie i have on DVD that is pan and scan...The Haunted, released by Artisan and stars the beautiful Kate Beckinsale. It is a shame it doesnt have a new relese.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
George, I must have missed the part where you said that you did a comparison. I thought you were just telling us what the aspect ratio of the laserdisc was. So thanks for pointing the quote out again. I never took A Goofy Movie off the list. I just always want to double check things so I know that they are accurate. Thanks.

Haunted has been added.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks