What's new

Component Inputs on receinvers?? (1 Viewer)

Zach_F

Auditioning
I am looking at the yamaha htr5450(100w*5) versus the htr5460(110w*5). The 5460 has component inputs (besides the obvious 10W extra power), I understand these are for the video signal but how does the receiver effect the image?? I plan on buying a hdtv in the future but for now I only have s-video, no component inputs on tv, should I go for the 5460 because it is something I just won't be able to live w/o in the future. I guess I am lost on the advantage of the component inputs on a receiver. Also any advice on other recievers that others feel would be good to power a JBL s310,s26,s-center HT system that are under $400 would be great!!
Thank you all, this forum is great!!
:)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
If you don't need to switch vid sources, I wouldn't worry about it. But it is a nice thing to have, JUST IN CASE. Hi DEF and DVD, in the same system, with only 1 component input on the TV would be the only reason I can think of.

I like HK. AVR120....

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
The only reason you should be using component video switching is if you have more sources with component outputs than your TV has inputs. Using the component switching on a receiver introduces a switching device in the signal path - and every time you put something in the path of the signal, it becomes degraded. Why on earth would you want to degrade any component source, which by definition will be the best in your system (ie. DVD, HD etc).
For the best video quality, component connections should be wired direct to the TV.
/Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks