What's new

Component High Definiton (1 Viewer)

ElvisLives

Auditioning
Real Name
John
If I get a dvd player and a HD tv with componant input/output, how do I know that the dvd player can support the HD resolutions eg 720p/1080i?
So that I get HD quality video.
Thanks.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hello John,

Welcome to the forum.

The only players that are able to play HD discs, are the "official" HD-players.

Currently there are 3 HD-DVD players on the market (although basically, they are all the same design), and 1 Blu-ray player. They won't play discs of the other "sort", but both will play "classic" DVDs, called Standard DVDs (SDVD).

If you visit our HD forums you will find a wealth of information (as well as some fights over the "best" format :) ), including many posts by owners of one of the HD players (or both).

Good luck!

Cees

ElvisLives

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Oh ok, I thought that connecting a standard dvd player to a HD tv using a componant connection allowed you to get optimum picture quality from normal discs.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Let me add my welcome John.

Optimum within the limits of the technology. So within the limits of Standard Definition you will get an optimum result.

Optimum within the limits of High Definition probably means an HDMI connection.

As Cees suggests, direct your attention to the HD section.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Elvis - Progressive Scan DVD players are typically only able to pass 480p via component video. You may consider an HDMI Upconverting DVD Player, which upconvert the video to 720p/1080i, though of course this would require an HDMI or DVI input on your TV. In this case I would recommend the Oppo 970 or 971.

To obtain true 720p/1080i video you may want to consider purchasing an HD DVD Player or Blu-Ray Player, though again you may be limited with the use of Component Video as future video releases may be restricted to HDMI only, with HDCP capable receivers or TV sets.

Do you have a DVI or HDMI input on your set?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks