What's new

Component Cables for the PS2 and Xbox (1 Viewer)

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
Is there a discernable advantage to using component cables as compared to s-video for either the PS2 or XBox? I'm looking at TV's right now and I'm trying to decide if I should hold out for two (2) component inputs... I'm not planning on using either for DVD playback.

From other posts here and information gleaned elsewhere it seems that component cables would be worth it for the XBox, but not the PS2. The question then remains, Is it worth the extra $200-$300 to upgrade to such a TV? (Price differential is, obviously, approximate. I'm looking at several sets, most with only one set of component inputs, most recently a Hitachi 36UDX10S and a Sony Wega KV-36HS20)

Thanks!

Camp

Senior HTF Member
IMO, the difference between Component and S-video with a non-progressive source (PS2) is pretty subtle (if I'm noticing anything at all).

There is a much more noticable difference between Component and S-video in progressive scan situations (I've tried this comparison with my Gamecube but have only comared Component and Composite with my Xbox).

Still, the difference isn't as great as what I see in progressive versus interlaced DVD viewing.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I see better color definition switching between component and s-video on the Cube. As for the PS2, I bought the Monster S-vid for $35 when I didn't have a TV with component ins and I don't think it's worth it now to spend that much on upgrading to component (being the poor college student that I am). I don't have an s-vid cable for the Xbox but I'm guessing similar results.
I'd recommend getting a TV with 2 inputs just for future upgradability. Use 1 for your DVD player and the other for conneting a component switcher for all your consoles.
Believe me, it is a PAIN to keep manually switching inputs for the PS2/DC or GC/Xbox. I really need a switcher, but you know my predicament. :)

Kip

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Camp for the most part. You gain the most with games and televisions that support progressive scan. This is of course most obvious with the XBox and Gamecube.
It is worth noting that I've used my PS2 with both Monster s-video and component connections. With a game like FFX there was a definite drop off using s-video on my TV (Wega XBR400 36). However, as like the rest of us I have a limited number of component connections (three total). I have given them to the XBox and Gamecube and moved the PS2 back to s-video (third connection goes to DVD). You absolutely get the most bang for the buck with progressive scan games. Tough choice, but that's life. :)
Kip

MikeM

Screenwriter
Why not use a video switch box for all of your component connections?

This way, all of your component connections can be on one Video Input on your TV. The Radio Shack A/V Selectors should do the job at $59.

I'd also suggest an audio Toslink switch box as well from them. It's $29.

Patrick Cornel

Auditioning
Really? Do you know the name of the product? I wouldn't think that a component switcher under 200 clams would pass high enough bandwidth to carry a progressive signal....

If it works well, I just might pick one up.

--PCorn

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Yes there is a difference between what you see using the s-video as opposed to the component when playing dvd's or the xbox games. There is also a difference between running the audio from the xbox of the optical outputs as opposed to the analog.

As for multiple component outputs if you run out of components inputs in your TV you could always get a reciever with 2 - 3 component inputs and opticle inputs, then run one component line to your TV.

Then you can spend even more money on a 5.1 or 6.1 speaker system so you can benifit from the optical audio connection your making from the Xbox to the reciever.

It all comes down to what your happy with and how much money you want/can/need to spend to be a little more happy.

ways to save money if your going to spend a couple of hundred on a video switcher you might want to consider paying a little bit more ($50 or so) for a A/V Reciever capable of 5.1 DD decoding with multiple component inputs. You can also save some money by making your own component cables.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Really? Do you know the name of the product? I wouldn't think that a component switcher under 200 clams would pass high enough bandwidth to carry a progressive signal....
I bought a HipGear S-video switchbox for $14.99 from CompUSA and connect my Xbox, PS2 and GameCube using component cables into the composite inputs. There is no degredation of the signals that I can see. I don't think bandwidth is a problem with a passive switchbox (maybe with 720p or 1080i, but not 480p). With more PS2 games being 480p, I think component cables ($19.99 at CompUSA) are a good buy.

Doug Morrison

Auditioning
I will probably just use an svideo cable for my ps2...anyone have any of the cheaper ones?? Not looking to spend a ton on "Monster" Cable with a "Monster" Price..Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks