Component Cables for PS2, worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Dec 16, 2002.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Is it worth the price for the component cables over the s and composite cables? Does the pic really get that much better? I have a Sony 32HV600 HDTV and it's a lot of trouble to pull out that TV from my unit and I won't do it unless it's worth the price and trouble.

2. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Jeff:

I'd actually say it is, if you indeed have a HDTV.

I bought the component cables a while ago and I've been quite happy with them. You get a pretty big performance increase over composite and S-Video, PLUS you get the ability to run some games (probably more as time goes on) in 480p, which, for most TVs, will look a fair bit better than 480i (i.e. non-HD/interlaced). For the $25.00 that you pay, I think you DEFINITELY get your money's worth.

3. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

Agreed!

4. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

If you feel like spending a fortune, and have the connections available, Monster Cable has a Componenet/Fiber Optic cable at Crtuchfield. That would be as good as it gets.

5. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

I would just get the Sony component cable, as it includes analog audio cables. It's a decent cable. There are a couple games that didn't use the optical audio, so you'll have that for backup.

6. EdR

EdR Second Unit

I have the compnent PS2 cable, but I went back to S-video because it gives you a certain amount of anti-aliasing. Of course, this is technically signal degredation, but some PS2 games have a distracting amount of aliasing in them, which the component cable really brings out in sharp detail.

just my 2 cents YMMV...

7. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I've had the Monster Component hooked up to my 57" Sony XBR since the week after launch. I also only have the optical cable for audio. Every thing looks amazing, and I've never had a game that won't work with the optical output.

8. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

9. Brian Ruth

Quoth the Ed:

10. Gary Mui

Gary Mui Agent

Yes, I got the Sony Component cables for my PS2 as well. The colours are Much more vibrant, and the edges are Much more sharper (i.e. any text on the screen is Sharp, no bleeding around the edges). That was on my old 50" RPTV.

I recently got a Sony 65" HDTV, and of course it's even better. BUT, as EdR mentioned, since the edges are so sharp now, anti-aliasing is more obvious. With the other cables, the "bleeding" actually helps to fill in some of the "steps" in anti-aliasing, kind of masking it.

I mean, I still prefer components over composite for sure. The benefits from the more vibrant colours and clarity outweight the anti-aliasing (IMHO). And if cost is a concern for you (I assume maybe your PS2 is pretty far away from your TV/AV?), then what I did was
    a) get the PS2 component cables, which are about 6' long
    b) goto radioshack and get like a 20-25' high quality RCA audio&video cable (5 RCA connectors), and use it to extend the PS2 component cables. It's not a component cable, it was something else... a video dubbing cable or something. But it's essentially the same thing, same thickness, gold plated heads, only thing is that the labels for those heads won't match up with the PS2 component cable labels. Bottom line is that it's a lot cheaper than buying a 20-25' long component cable.

11. EdR

EdR Second Unit

12. Gary Mui

Gary Mui Agent

OOPS, yes yes, my bad. I keep using "anti-aliasing" as one term. Thanks EdR.

13. Brian Ruth

[Phil Hartman Frankenstein Voice]
    ALIASING BAAAAAAD!
    ANTI-ALIASING GOOOOOD!
    [/Phil Hartman Frankenstein Voice]
    [​IMG]