What's new

Complicated Comcast Cable Box hookup (1 Viewer)

catlover0908

Auditioning
Real Name
Melissa Lapierre
I am in the process of getting a Comcast digital box for the first time. This diagram has been helpful to help me learn how to record one program and watch another: http://www.comcast.com/MediaLibrary/1/2/CM/VanityURL/documents/record_digital_watch_analog.pdf The problem is, I also use an RF Modulator for my DVD player as I have an older tv. At what point in the diagram above do I insert the RF Modulator? I also found this diagram: http://www.comcast.com/MediaLibrary/1/2/CM/VanityURL/documents/rf-mod_dvd_or_game.pdf What I need to know is how to merge the 2 diagrams so I can use an A/B switch and the RF Modulator. Any help would be appreciated. I'm tearing my hair out LOL

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Wow Melissa, I haven't seen a hook-up diagram like that in a long time! I don't know what modulator you are using, but here is what I would try:

Plan A:

Hook your DVD player directly to the RCA inputs on your VCR. Please note that this won't work with most VCRs due to copy protection, but it might work with yours. Put the selector switch on A, select the input on your VCR via the VCR channel up and down, and turn your TV to channel 3/4. If it works, problem solved. If there is no picture or if it fades in and out then its not going to work with your VCR.

Plan B:

Replace the A/B switch with an A/B/C switch (approx $15) and hook the DVD modulator up to the C input.

ABC Switch option 1 ($25)

ABC Switch option 2 ($15)

NOTE: I haven't used either of these so I don't have a recommendation as to which to get

Plan C:

Connect the input that is going to the A side of the selector switch to your modulator input. Here is where it gets tricky. Some modulators have active signal sensing and when they detect an input from the DVD they will automatically switch from the feed from the VCR to the DVD, BUT yours may not have this and depending on the model it may think a fade to black is a no signal and switch back to the VCR. If yours doesn't have this then you MAY be able to pull the power from your modulator when watching the feed from your VCR but it may or may not pass it through when off.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Update: If you don't mind spending the money it may be simplest to just get the ABC switch, that way you just push a button to watch DVD and don't have to mess with hooking everything up to try Plan A which probably won't work anyway, and don't have to mess with setting the VCR channel everytime you want to watch a DVD.

PS One of these days you are just going to have to treat yourself to a new TV

catlover0908

Auditioning
Real Name
Melissa Lapierre
Someone else recommended an ABC switch to me as well. So basically I would use the exact first diagram, and the RF Modulator would be only hooked up to the DVD player and the C switch? Am I understanding correctly?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by catlover0908

Someone else recommended an ABC switch to me as well. So basically I would use the exact first diagram, and the RF Modulator would be only hooked up to the DVD player and the C switch? Am I understanding correctly?

Yes. You would follow the hookup diagram except you would have an ABC switch instead of the AB switch and the third input on that would be hooked up to the output of your modulator via coax cable.

catlover0908

Auditioning
Real Name
Melissa Lapierre
You have been very helpful! One other question...I'm eligible for 2 free converter boxes from Comcast. These are the instructions they give in order to record one digital channel and watch another digital channel: Watch & Record Independently This configuration enables you to record one channel while watching another. This flexibility may require two (2) converter boxes, a splitter, and one A/B switch. Connect the wires so that the cable signal passes from the main cable into your splitter Connect one wire from the splitter outputs to the input of one converter box Connect the other wire from the splitter outputs to the second converter box Connect a wire from your first converter to the RF input of your VCR Connect a wire from the RF output on your VCR to your A/B switch Connect a wire from your second converter directly to the A/B switch, and then to your TV Does this hookup, along with hooking the modulator to the C switch, sound feasible to you until I decide to upgrade my equipment?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks