Complete noob - Amp? Speakers? Etc?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by aaronCL, Jan 16, 2006.

1. aaronCL

aaronCL Auditioning

Jan 16, 2006
    Hi there, I've got a pretty basic 27 inch tv set with my cable, dvd-player, and gamecube attached. I'm getting a new entertainment center, and want some sound to match it. I mentioned buying a HT-in-a-box to somebody, and was told that it would be a complete and utter waste of $200 or so. I was told that instead, I should buy a stereo receiver and some cheap speakers separately, then when I had more money, buy better speakers or whatnot.

Here's my situation. I live in an apt complex, so I don't need 1000w of power. I can have a decent amount of bass, just can't shake the building very often. Can't justify spending a thousand or so on a system. I'd be looking at spending $2-400 total, maybe more depending on what it takes.. I know a lot about computer sound systems, but know jack about setting up a HT. And I'm just NOT willing to go to a electronics store just to be taken advantage of by salesmen [​IMG] Surround would be nice, but my preference is to have good sound, and a 2.1 or something would be perfectly fine with me.

Advice? Tips? Thanks!!
  2. John S

John S Producer

Nov 4, 2003
    Look into some of the Onkyo systems. Like the 770 system.

This is not really an HTIB but separate full featured components bundled together.

As far as a $200 HTIB being a waste of money. I'd review each offering separately. But, another thread on here right now, seems more indicative of the sorts of limitations HTIB's may inflict upon you.
  3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jun 3, 1999
    Since you're asking for purchasing advice, your thread has been moved. The Basics area is for general discssion at the beginner level.
  4. aaronCL

aaronCL Auditioning

Jan 16, 2006
    Thanks for the advice John! Looks like a pretty good system, and can be found refurbed for ~$350 shipped [​IMG] So I shouldn't have any problem getting my cable, dvd player, and gamecube hooked up to this thing?
  5. aaronCL

aaronCL Auditioning

Jan 16, 2006
    crap.. apparently i am not allowed to link the two receivers I was wondering about until I've got 15 posts...

Here are two receivers I've been looking at. Is either Onkyo or Panasonic better known for quality? Precious little difference between the two? Better receiver for ~$200-250? Thanks!

7.1 Channel Surround Sound or Stereo / 100 Watts per channel in either mode / Dolby Digital EX / DTS ES / Dolby Pro Logic II / SILVER

Panasonic SA-XR55 Home-theater Receiver for A/V Surround Sound - If you use a DVD player on your TV or plan to Upgrade to HDTV soon, having multichannel surround sound is extremely important to complete the truest home-theater experience. Though HDTV offers a 5.1 channel surround mode, this receiver can deliver76.1 Channels for new DVD output. So you've got the choice of your surround mode. This receiver also has a Stereo mode for your Audio recordings. Let's call this a receiver for all seasons!
    100 Watts per channel in surround or stereo modes (at 8 ohms)
    Port for adding a powered Subwoofer
    Digitally-tuned AM/FM Tuner with up to 30 User Programmable station Memory presets
    Convenient terminals for connecting surround sound speakers (speakers not included)
    Jack for listening in privacy with Optional Headphones
    Rear Audio Inputs - RCA: 4, Coaxial: 1, Optical: 2
    Rear Video Inputs - Composite: 3, S-Video: 3, Component: 2
    Selectable DSP modes
    Port for adding external FM antenna
    Slim Design - 2.9" H x 16.9" W x 14.7" D
    Weighs 8.8 Pounds
    Includes Remote Control
    Silver Finish

Onkyo TXSR503B

Detailed Specifications:
    Power Specifications