Complete List of DVD-Rot Known Titles?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MikeEckman, Jul 19, 2004.

1. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Is there a list or a database out there containing all known DVDs that have been known to exhibit DVD-Rot? I know of Ghostbusters and Contact, but wanted to know if there are any others in my collection I should be aware of.

2. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    HORROR EXPRESS from Image Entertainment is one.

3. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

Not sure if it counts, but the original Dragonheart and daylight DVDs I had, just stopped playing, period. No scratches, smears or anything wrong. They played fine originally,then.. nothing.

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Anchor Bay's FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN and THE WITCHES were both known to fail right out of the box in their initial release - they later corrected and replaced them.

5. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Second Unit

There are a number of Anchor Bay DVDs that have been highly problematic, including The Witches and FCW, but I've also read a about a lot of problems with Kentucky Fried Movie, Heathers, and The Wicker Man, but for those last three, the problem seems to apply only to early pressings.

Apparently, for a while Anchor Bay was manufacturing their DVDs with sub-par materials, which caused nearly entire runs of certain titles to rot.

As to a definitive list of trouble DVDs, there are some that receive a lot of attention, such as Contact, and I remember about four years ago there were a lot complaints about LA Confidential and Devil's Advocate as well, but this is something that can seemingly strike any DVD. These things are mass-produced and replicated rather cheaply, so there are bound to be problems here and there. So even though a DVD isn't a known trouble-maker doesn't necessarily mean it's immune from rot.

6. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    For me, in addition to Ghostbusters:

The original My Fair Lady disc.

Disney's animated The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

I think others had trouble with one of the original pressing discs of From the Earth to the Moon. My set plays fine (last time I checked).

7. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    My Varsity Blues died a month back. No scratches or prints. It just suddenly became unrecognizable by all three of my DVD players. I have also been through three copies of Ron White: "They Call Me Tater Salad" and all three pixellate badly. I have chalked it up to either a bad batch of pressings of a cheaply made disc. It's distributed by Image Entertainment.

8. Travis W.

Travis W. Second Unit

Universal's Street Fighter disc is very spotty. I went through 3 copies before I found one that actually worked. I've heard of several others complaining of bad discs.
    The movie's bad but the disc shouldn't be [​IMG].

9. Zachary Cohen

Zachary Cohen Stunt Coordinator

The first disc of "From Earth to the Moon."

10. Scott-L

Scott-L Agent

you can add "Yes-Live From The House of Blues" to the list as well.

11. Frank@N

Frank@N Screenwriter

12. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

13. Jeff Whitford

Jeff Whitford Screenwriter

My Tombstone Vista just quit. No play on the display.

14. R. Kay

R. Kay Second Unit

Someone mentioned 'Thirteen Days' (Costner) ...

15. Jon Moss

Jon Moss Stunt Coordinator

Carlito's Way

Apollo 13

Waterworld

The Jackal

All original Universal editions.. looks like Universal went through a bad patch of poor quality DVD's!! Both my DVD players say there's no disc in the drive, and they all used to play perfectly!

Even my PC DVD drive which usually plays just about anything refuses them!

16. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    My original Vertigo (with the orange cover) will not play on any DVD player now.

17. Mike_Craft

Mike_Craft Stunt Coordinator

all my DVDs are in mint condition. I rented Minority report and it was freaking scratched to hell and I could barely watch it without fast forwarding threw freezes. I wonder if I should ask for a free rental? Not really a rot issue however.

18. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

What's DVD-Rot? It's not like those LD rots, right? Because I thought it didn't exist for DVD!

19. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Sam I believe it's the glue used to hold the layers of RSDL DVDs together. If not applied properly - I assume if air gets in - it turns opaque and prevents the laser from reading past the layer switch. That's what I think of DVD rot. Looks like others are having different issues though.

I had this with my original copy of Contact. After the layer switch the movie would break up and eventually freeze.

20. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

Of the movies mentioned, I have Contact, Apollo 13, From the Earth to the Moon, Tombstone Vista, Thirteen Days, & The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I have never had a problems with these DVD's playing (rot or something else) and I have owned a dvd player since this all began in April of 1997. Contact and Apollo 13 were the first two movies I bought.
    Of those I have, the only one I haven't watched in a while is FTETTM, so I'll pop that in to see if it still works. I do know that the glue on the packaging of that set failed miserably. [​IMG]
    If these problems are caused by rot, could some players be more sensitive to it than others? Maybe those reporting problems could also mention their DVD player.
    I have a Tosh 3107 & a Panny RP-91.
    Peace,
    DM