What's new

Comparison of Plasma, LCOS, LCD, DLP, CRT? (1 Viewer)

Brent Joye

Agent
Does anyone know of a good comparison of all these technologies? I really like the small depth of the Plasma, but it's so expensive right now, so I was looking at a compromise with the LCD projection TV's like the Grand Wega. Then I read about the Toshiba coming late this year with the LCOS technology and it says it can do 1080p. Is that going to be the best, or is DLP going to be it? I'd really like to see a discussion or comparison of all these technologies and their advantages and drawbacks. Everyone says the picture quality on Plasma is inferior, but it sure looked impressive to me in the store.

Brent Joye

Agent
The Toshiba news release said that their new LCOS model would be able to display 1080p, the highest resolution ever. How can they do that with no 1080p source? Are they going to have an internal scaler that line doubles a 1080i signal? Or will it just be for the possibility of future higher definition sources? Anybody know?

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
Brent, I think you'll find a lot more of these discussions on avsforum.com.

I hadn't heard about the Toshiba press release. There will be plenty of 1080p sources when the display devices become reasonably common (HTPC, D-Theater, eventually HD-DVD).

Don Tan

Auditioning
Right now I like the DLP rear projection that Samsung is releasing in August. I saw it at the CES show and it really looked good. It also has a DVI interface which will be important to have later on. It can display images without concern for burn in. I think LCOS technology is very promising and when Toshiba comes out with it later this year it will be worth looking at. I am not as big a fan of LCD. The grand wega has no PC input and I didn't think the picture looked as good as Samsungs DLP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.