What's new

Compare the HK AVR 335 vs AVR 430 (1 Viewer)

brianSCH

Auditioning
I'm looking to upgrade and have been shopping around alot. I came across these two receivers at harmanaudio.com. They're both factory refurbs with a 2 year warranty. They are both selling for $397 and wondering if any out there have any experience with either or how they compare. Both seem to have similar specs so looking for a reason to purchase one over the other. The 335 is the newer model, but the 430 has 10 watts per channel more. Anyone take a swing at these??

TommyWMedford

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Brian. I own the 430. I upgraded from the 330 mainly due to the price($375 new), and some really cool features. It has plenty of power, sometimes more than I really need, and it sounds amazing. What's really cool is that the software is upgradeable. With the upgrade available from Harman, you get Pro Logic IIx, and a reduced digital signal pickup. There are also some other minor changes and fixes. The 335 is a great receiver, don't get me wrong. But for the money, the 430 is the better choice. Hope this helps. Take care.

Tommy,

I also have the AVR 430, which I got about 18 months ago, and I love it.

I was not aware, however, that there was a software upgrade for the AVR 430. Can you fill me in on how to get this upgrade?

Thanks a lot,

Mark

brianSCH

Auditioning
Thanks guys!

Sounds like it's the way to go at least for these two receivers. Now just have to decide between the AVR 430 and the Pioneer VSX-1014/1015, VSX-52 refurb, and the VSX-9100 refurbs!!

THe VSX-52 refurb is $396 + $35 shipping. Really sounds pretty good, but bouncing around between all these choices. Don't think I can go wrong between any of them!!

TommyWMedford

Stunt Coordinator
Mark, check out this link:

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_...ENG&Region=USA

Everything you need to know is right there. You'll need an RS 232 cable. The process is kind of long, but it's well worth it.

Brian, the VSX-52 is a great receiver, also. Smooth sound, with lots of power. If you go with Pioneer, that's the receiver I'd get. Whether you go with that one, or the HK AVR 430, you won't be going wrong.

Tommy,

Thanks for the info.

It appears that most of the upgrade info applies to people who have a high-definition tv hooked up to the avr430, which I unfortunately do not have.

In addition, the Dolby PLIIx seems applicable to 7.1 surround and I have just 5.1.

I mainly use my receiver for music and dvd's, so it doesn't seem like this upgrade is very applicable to me, but I will probably update it anyways so when I buy a hi-def tv in the next year or two I will be good to go.

Does anyone know of any benefits of this software update that would apply to strictly music listening?

Thanks a million,

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks