What's new

Compare a DIY and a big name speaker... (1 Viewer)

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Could those kicker 8's hit 100db+ at 20hz? probably not. Like it was said before the right tool for the job. Car audio subs(in general) have a higher fs which also contributes to a higher effeciency. a lower fs driver sacrifices a little spl in the 50-60hz region for more bass down low. That is also the reason more x-max is needed in home apps. to move more air down low.They also need larger enclosures then car audio guys want to give up. Car audio subs have a great environment to play in. no standing waves below 50hz, 12db of car gain and small volume to pressurize. So they can have less x-max, a higher fs and small box and still play loud and low. To see a home sub in the 115db from 20hz-80hz arena is more impressive to me then 10 subs in a car hitting 160-170db at 50-60hz.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Like has been said, SPL in a car is completely different than high sq reference level bass in a home theater. Can you provide us with some links to these car drivers that would peform as well as a Shiva/Dayton DVC12" or Tempest/Dayton DVC15" drivers that are even remotely close in price?

Which Brahma are you talking about. A single Tempest in a truck with 500W almost hit 153dB. And a single Brahma 12 in a 1ft^3 sealed box with 1500W has passed 144dB in a Grand National's trunk. And it would be tough to beat in SQ as well.

Can you name a single driver (besides the Brahma) that has a DUMAX verfied Xmax of over 27mm one way? Can you name one that can get past 20mm as linearly as a Brahma?

And Adire has been struck by car audio guys. The Tempest and Shiva are now both backordered regularly, as after they made a few appearances at some car audio competitions car audio guys have been snapping them up (frustrating those of us wanting them for home use).

Oh, and if you weren't aware, Adire is soon going to be releasing an XBL^2 driver geared for home use rather than car use with over 35mm of one way Xmax. Will have over 5.2L of Vd.

Mark gas

Second Unit
You guys say that this sub COULD hit this or this sub COULD hit that but has it NO and if you could get a a single Bramha to hit 169 than do it and win some money. Nate Munson score is a world record for a single 10 and thats when his amps were not even putting out full power. (the sub had quad 1.4 ohm coils and his 4 amps put out max power at 1 ohms.) The subs he was using were from DD Audio a company that also makes monitors for recording studios I think they know somthing about SQ. The shiva is a very good driver in it's price range but there are better drivers out there. The Brahma is also a good driver but there are better spl drivers out there too. Also on ECA someone has a single IDMAX in 1.5 cubes sealed with a 1000 watts that hit 145 DB .

Stephen Matthew

Stunt Coordinator
You guys say that this sub COULD hit this or this sub COULD hit that but has it NO and if you could get a a single Bramha to hit 169 than do it and win some money. Nate Munson score is a world record for a single 10 and thats when his amps were not even putting out full power. (the sub had quad 1.4 ohm coils and his 4 amps put out max power at 1 ohms.) The subs he was using were from DD Audio a company that also makes monitors for recording studios I think they know somthing about SQ. The shiva is a very good driver in it's price range but there are better drivers out there. The Brahma is also a good driver but there are better spl drivers out there too. Also on ECA someone has a single IDMAX in 1.5 cubes sealed with a 1000 watts that hit 145 DB .
you are mistaken.. there are first of all no records in a single 10 class in dbdrag, they simply dont keep them.. he is barely in the top 20 with that score actually as his class is designed specifically for 2 15s or 18s and average score to win in that class is over 172.. Nate Also had a dual 1 ohm driver being pushed by 2 dei 2400d's at 16v, so the amp was at half the designed ohm load and 33% more voltage, and was pushing well in excess of its rated 2400 watts.. he runs DD subs because they sponsor him... he hits similar numbers with any sub of similar quality.. it is the box design which is extremely unique as you can tell if you look very closely.. at his center console... and the 9500 series of drivers is a turd for sq... a shiva would slap it silly...
and a brahma is easily capable of whipping an idmax in spl...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Guys, could we keep the discussion on HOME THEATER-related applications? I'm sure there are many car audio enthusiasts, but the last time I checked, this was the Home Theater Forum, not the car audio forum.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Others have said that my sub is at the Krell Master Reference Series Subwoofer level ($28,000)

Mine=dual BPD1503's with enclosre=~$675
Crown K2=$970
BFD=$140
-------
=$1785

My EGO's?....not sure, but with the praise that they seem to get at the Basslist meeting, I would feel confident to put them up against most any comercial speaker from 100hz on up (small mini monitor).

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Gomie, the 1503 is supposed to be better than the TC-15's used in the Krell...you got it beat. :emoji_thumbsup:
And two opposed Tumults would be in another league you'd think.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Once you are in DIY is amazing to see how much are some people willing to spend on his speakers!

I almost feel sorry for those who buy that Krell sub.

A

Anthony_Gomez

I agree! I was recently at a local HTF meet and John (host) had some really nice VMPS speakers/subs. I was pretty impressed even for their cost...but I personally would never buy them now that I know the value of DIY. ...or should I say the devaluement of our labor rates =)

GabeT

Grip
Drivers that can Dumax 27 mm+...

Resonant Engineering XXX-
Digital Designs 9500, 9700-
Image Dynamics IDMAX-- Treo Engineering CSX --
Shocker Extreme

And Im gonna guess and say..
JL W7
Eclipse Titanium Pro
Elemental Design A series

Im a huge fan of Brahmas.. but I've seen what they can do.. and Ive see what DD 9500's can do. As far as PURE spl goes a Brahma cant hang with the DD. SQ is a different Story..

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I would love to compare my now-active Kit281s with some commercial speakers, but I've never had the chance to. Despite the low cost and now outdated drivers the active system is some very good hi-fi. Since the original Kit281 is supposed to compare with $2k and $3k speakers, I shudder to think about how much it would cost to match what I have now. Thankfully companies like Onix, VMPS and Adire are starting to push the envelope here...

Drivers that can Dumax 27 mm+...
Resonant Engineering XXX-
Digital Designs 9500, 9700-
Image Dynamics IDMAX-- Treo Engineering CSX --
Shocker Extreme
And Im gonna guess and say..
JL W7
Eclipse Titanium Pro
Elemental Design A series
Actually only a couple of your listed drivers have an Xmax over 27mm.
XXX: Yes it can. I believe it will do around 32mm one way linear.
DD: The DD subs don't have much linear excursion (12.9mm). Here's a Dumax report to show you: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/DUMAX/DD9515b.pdf
IDMAX: Nope, this one is just short at 22.91mm:http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/DUMAX/IDMAX.pdf
I'm not sure what the Shocker or Treo subs will do.
W7: Well that depends on size. I believe the 13W7 has a 32mm linear Xmax, but the 10 is just short of 27mm: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/DUMAX/JL-10W7.pdf
Eclipse TI Pro: Very overated excursion listed on their website. The actual linear excursion is below 25mm IIRC.
ED-A: Again it depends on the size. The 10 can't physically move rearward 27mm. I'm not sure what the true linear excursion capabilities of the 15" driver is.
Steven Kephart
Adire Audio

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator
Relax, Seth, it was only an opinion. You want to read a two-year old car audio thread...please, go right ahead. I'm sorry to distract you.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
For those that care...

~{ED 15A}~
All Derived via Dumax & straight from Dumax sheet. Sorry no link.

Xmax~29.1-mm
Xsus~29.1-mm
Xmag~30.4-mm

Limited run EDesigns driver:
~{ED-B315}~ 15"~Black aluminum cone
Xmax~23.3-mm

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
all I know is my topic will out perform your topic cause SOMEONE TOLD ME. and your topic is trash cause SOMEONE TOLD ME. I really DONT KNOW ANYTHING, just like to TYPE IN CAPS :)
Besides, my topic came out after your topic, therefore it must be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks